Windows 7 forum

General discussion

How to re-install windows 7 64bit over a windows 7 32 bit?

by chris0055 / January 18, 2010 3:44 AM PST

Hi all,

I purchased Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade disc couple month ago and had successfully custom install Windows 7 32bit over my Windows Vista 32 bit. My ram was not enough (2 GB) and now I have added another 4 GB on it and trying to find a way to "clean install" 64bit Windows 7 over my 32bit Windows 7 with only the upgrade Disc. What should I do? Thank you so much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to re-install windows 7 64bit over a windows 7 32 bit?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to re-install windows 7 64bit over a windows 7 32 bit?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think he want to clean install
by ketsat02 / January 18, 2010 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: What other Windows?
Collapse -
Remove Win 7 32bit install Win 7 64bit
by chris0055 / January 18, 2010 2:35 PM PST

What I really want to do is remove my Windows 7 32 bit (originally upgraded from vista 32bit) and install Windows 7 64 bit. This is because I just added 4 gb of ram in my pc. I am wondering can I do this by boot my pc with a "Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Disc 64 bit"? Am I expecting any BIOS Issue?

Do I need to install windows vista 64bit and then do a clean install on Windows 7 64bit?

Collapse -
Do I need to install windows vista 64bit and then do a clean
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2010 9:21 PM PST

Do I need to install windows vista 64bit and then do a clean install on Windows 7 64bit?

That's one way.

Another way is to show Windows 7 Upgrade your old Vista DVD.
Bob

Collapse -
install
by jeff_windows_team / January 19, 2010 2:20 AM PST
Collapse -
It's Possible
by soulsilver2010 / January 19, 2010 11:54 PM PST

You just need to back up your machine and start anew.

64-bit cannot upgrade from 32-bit due to the incompatibilities that there would be with 32-bit only applications and drivers.

Make sure you have all your drivers and program installers on a disc, and make sure, that if there is a version, namely with drivers, use the 64-bit version.

Other than that it's a normal Windows install. The installer will pick up Windows 7 and should let you do it without nagging you to activate every 5 seconds.

Collapse -
Fail
by chris0055 / January 20, 2010 4:25 PM PST
In reply to: It's Possible

OK, I had back up my files into an external hard drive, then I try to reboot my pc by "Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Disc 64 bit" and it loads some files and once its done, it leads to an blue blank page and then nothing has happened after.

I am not sure whats going on now.....

Collapse -
Specs
by chris0055 / January 20, 2010 4:53 PM PST
In reply to: Fail

With more detail description. My installation progress just passed the "gray" loading bar and then it jump to another page with original windows 7 background and I can see my cursor there, and then NOTHING has happen after.

I did a bit of research and it seems not the same as dead blue screen.
The following is my spec.

Mother Board: Asus M2N-E SLI 1.XX Chipset NVIDIA nForce4
BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N-E SLIACPI BIOS Revi 0701

CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ core speed 2010.4 MHz
RAM : DDR2 Dual Channel 2GB
Graphics : ATI Radeon X1550 Series

Collapse -
Running 32bit Windows 7 now
by chris0055 / January 20, 2010 5:05 PM PST
In reply to: Specs

By the way, my current OS is WINDOWS 7 32 bit now, and I'm trying to replace it with Windows 7 64 bit with "Home Premium Upgrade Disc"

Collapse -
system requirements
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 21, 2010 3:52 AM PST

Did you check your computer to see if it can run 64-bit Windows?

Tara

Collapse -
YES
by chris0055 / January 21, 2010 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: system requirements

I checked it with Windows 6 adviser and it tells I can install it by custom installation. I wonder what kind of problem can it be.

The mother board?

Collapse -
another redundant question (on my part)
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 21, 2010 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: YES
Collapse -
stuck
by chris0055 / January 21, 2010 9:04 AM PST

I had Windows 7 32bit running fine.
If I try to read the disc when I'm in W7 32bit, it won't let me and shows error.

If I try to boot by disc, it passes the gray bar loading screen, the welcome page with Microsoft Logo, and then it leads me to another page with the default background and also shows the cursor. then NOTHING happen after.

It didn't tell me the error nor anything.

Collapse -
stuck
by nguyentranghlu / November 6, 2013 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: stuck

OK, I had back up my files into an external hard drive, then I try to reboot my pc by "Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Disc 64 bit" and it loads some files and once its done, it leads to an blue blank page and then nothing has happened after.

Collapse -
Small world
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2013 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: stuck

At the office we have an older Vista laptop and it barely let Windows 7 32 bit on. While it did run Vista 64, an eerily blue same result when we tried W7 64 bit.

We tried various things over the past 2 years but it looks like Linux is what's next for that old laptop as the maker has never supported Windows 7 on it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.