Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to print out the contents of cd or dvd files?

by hwll / July 9, 2004 3:29 AM PDT

Woul anyone share the way to print out the contents of cd/dvd files within the Windows and/or DOS environments?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to print out the contents of cd or dvd files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to print out the contents of cd or dvd files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to print out the contents of cd or dvd files?
by TONI H / July 9, 2004 3:46 AM PDT

How do you print a directory of what's contained on a disk?
Two ways to do this........

Go to your DOS prompt (W98/ME = Start\Programs\MSDOS Prompt or XP = Start\Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt) and type this command (this will print your directory in alphabetical order). This example is for your "a" drive or floppy drive but it should work for all your drives including a zip drive--just change the letter of your drive in your command line:

Dir a:\ /o:n>prn

Then click your Enter key

Bill Gaston's Answer:
Cut and paste the next two lines from this message into NotePad or any text editor and be sure to save it with a .bat extension in any location you want:

dir %1 /-p /a /o > "%temp%\File List"
notepad /p "%temp%\File List"

Note: You may leave the /p off in the second line and use the internal print option from Notepad if desired.

Right-click the name of this file and create a shortcut in the same folder. On the Program tab of this shortcut, check the Close on Exit.

Right-click on the shortcut and select copy. Move to the "Send To" folder and right-click a blank space and select "Paste Shortcut".

From now on, left-click a folder, right-click and select "Sent To" and this shortcut for printing a list.

Notes and caveats:

The batch file writes a file to the Temp folder named "File List."

A list can be sent to a printer or to a file. This depends on the printer selected before selecting the shortcut. To create a Text Printer, go to Control Panel > Add Printers > Generic > Generic/Text Only > default to Print To File. Select this printer before starting the procedure if you want a file list saved. If you should desire to save a file list besides printing one, enter the storage location for this file list in the shortcut. Enter the drive and folder name where you would like this list to reside on the "Working" line of the shortcut - I use the "Temp" folder (the %temp%) and file name "File list" (the last line of the batch).

This procedure may be set up so the shortcut is listed on the Start button's right-click menu, besides the "Sent To" folder, in addition to, or both. In Explorer, click on View > Options > File Types. Click once on "File Folder" > Edit > New and for "Action," type Print File Listing; for "Application," browse for your shortcut created above.
Caveat: Since the printing procedure is added to the Start | right-click menu at all times, it only functions when clicking a folder name in Explorer and selecting "Print File Listing".

If you want to do the same thing for a drive's root, use "Drive" file types instead of "File Folder". You must include the /s parameter in your created batch file for printing all sub-folders as part of the listing. You may want to create another batch file by a different name when including /s, however, I include it anyway.
Caveats: There is no means of including hidden sub-folders to print, such as printing the Windows 95 folder and all sub-folders - the parameters for the "DIR" command does not include this feature. In order to get a file listing of a hidden sub-folder, the single folder itself must be printed. Examples of two folders in Windows are the INF and Fonts folder.

If NotePad cannot handle a large job, Windows will suggest using WordPad instead.

Collapse -
Copy file list from CD/DVD
by rapidrickc / February 7, 2010 2:41 AM PST

Tony how do you specify the location of the CD/DVD drive in your batch file?

Collapse -
''Also'' . . .
by Cursorcowboy / July 9, 2004 5:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
How to print ou the contents of a cd
by DigitalArtist / December 30, 2011 7:47 AM PST

I do it the easy way. I got to my My Documents Folder, put everything that is not in a folder into a new one titled My Documents2.

Then I highlight everything on the cd, Copy it and send it to My Documents.

I make a new folder in My Documents and put all of the files that were sent from the CD into it.

Then I simply open the File called My Documents and hit "Print Screen", Copy the screen print into a Word document, and you have your list.

If the list is long, you might have to scroll down the screen and use "Print Screen" again.

Good Luck

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.