Windows 8 forum

How to pin a FILE to the Start Screen

by Catenacious / January 8, 2013 2:43 AM PST

At least Windows 8 makes it easy to create a Start Screen tile for a program, or for a folder. But if you have a FILE that you open often (like a Word file, a Notepad file, or a PDF) and you want a tile to open it, there's no ready-made way to create one.

But you can do it this way. Open your Start Menu folder, which is
C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
(It's a hidden folder, so just paste the above path into the File Explorer address bar.)

Then open the folder containing your file. Right-click the file's icon and select "Copy." Then right-click in the Start Menu folder and select NOT "Paste," but "Paste Shortcut."

This makes the shortcut look like an "App" to Windows 8, so if you then go to the Metro Search Screen and search for "Apps" it will come up there, and you can right-click it and "Pin to Start."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to pin a FILE to the Start Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to pin a FILE to the Start Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think there is a reason why this is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 2:56 AM PST

You may not like it but in the past you could kill an users account by doing some simple as dropping a corrupt jpeg onto their desktop. By not allowing files on the desktop that may be their fix.

Your post about the folders that drive the menu and such systems should be usable for you to open a command line and copy the file there. I know that some users have no interest in the command line but it's the power tool of choice at our office.

Collapse -
by WUfromLosAngeles / November 22, 2015 9:05 AM PST

No offense but your post confused me more than anything, not because of your grammar, although that didn't help. Im sure your post would just confuse most people even more, it seems like a negative post and on top of that you suggest people use command prompt? Im sure some people who come here are computer literate but I am betting most are not so your reply would just confuse the majority more. Again no offense but HUH? There is a reason why what is like this?

Collapse -
Pin file to Start Screen Windows 8
by keslinny / December 21, 2013 6:44 AM PST

1 Switch to Desktop view.
2 Right-click to create New Folder on Desktop.
3 Rename (optional)
4 Assuming programs/shortcuts already on Desktop, right(-click and) drag to New Folder.
5 Select Create Shortcuts here.
6 Repeat Steps 4 and 5 for all files to be pinned to Start screen.

7 Right-click New Folder and select Pin to Start Screen.
8 Switch to Start Screen.
9 Locate and open New Folder.
10 Right-click file and select Pin to Start Screen.
11 Repeat step 10 as necessary.
12 Switch to Start Screen and unpin New Folder (if desired).
13 Reposition newly pinned files, as desired.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Worked Perfect w/ Windows 10
by WUfromLosAngeles / November 22, 2015 8:59 AM PST

This solution worked great! If copying and pasting the link above doesn't work for you then just click on the folders one by one until you get to where that link wants you to be..example: click on C drive, then users folder, then your user names folder, then the rest of the folders in that link. I did that because I have Windows 10 so maybe that link only works for Wind 8 specifically or maybe it does and I wasn't putting my pc name right, regardless I was able to get to that folder without having to unhide anything but by just clicking on each folder which would have the other folder..I digress, sorry. Anyway, Catenacious' suggestion worked for me perfectly! Seemed less complicated than the second suggestion below. I wanted to pin a specific Notepad file from Dropbox which didn't have an option of pinning it to start but when I did the steps above it showed up on my Start menu!! Now with these steps I can pin any file I want in the start menu. Thank you Catenacious and CNET, you have saved me a lot of time, and as they say, time is money!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.