Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to open IE in "Full Screen" all the time?

by bobwhite63 / August 4, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

I want open IE and see the page displayed in the "Full Screen" mode. No matter how I close IE (6.0 SP2) when I re-open it comes up in what I assume is the default "small cluttered screen" mode. I know how to get my display into "Full Screen" using the View menu drop down or by clicking on the Full Screen icon and by using the F11 key. What I need to know is how to get it to open as a "Full Screen" every time I open IE? Is there a setting I can change so I do not have to manually change into "Full Screen" each time I use IE?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to open IE in "Full Screen" all the time?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to open IE in "Full Screen" all the time?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this
by burninwolf / August 4, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

tools>internet options> advanced tab> uncheck the reset zoom level to 100% not sure if this is the same settings for ie 6 but it owuld be in the advanced tab some where

Collapse -
Re: How to open IE in "Full Screen" all the time?
by Tufenuf / August 4, 2006 1:29 AM PDT

bobwhite63, Follow the instructions below exactly and your problem should be solved.
Right click the shortcut icon for IE next to the Start button, choose Properties, change it from 'normal' to 'maximized'. Now open it.
Now right click any link on the page, choose Open In New Window....don't maximize it....instead, use the mouse to resize it to what you want it to be.
Now close the FIRST window you opened, and then close the new one you just resized.
Reopen IE from the shortcut icon again, and all windows from now on will be the size you chose and created.
Note: If you don't have an IE icon next to the Start button (Quick Launch area) use the shortcut in your Start/Programs/Internet Explorer and follow the instructions above.

Another alternative is to go to the link below and download "IE New Window Maximizer" which is Free.

http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/index.asp

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Or, you can right click IE Toolbar and select Customize
by DarCLew2 / August 4, 2006 2:16 AM PDT

There is in that box Full Screen icon, click on that and it stays full screen aan you close your customize box. I have it minimized for downloads and that was my first attempt with that. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
If the IE window has two boxes at the top right corner, that
by DarCLew2 / August 4, 2006 4:57 AM PDT

is between the _ and x, it is in full screen already. As some else mentioned that you will need to drag the four sides to it is in full screen position. I dragged mine down to it is in a small screen with a single box between the _ and x in the right corner but it will go to full screen clicking the box or the latter. You can make the print larger also with customise, add print, print preview, copy, paste - there are many options, I have small icons with no words to the right so I see all my icons. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Thank Goodness for Smart People
by judy865 / May 11, 2009 2:08 PM PDT

Seems no matter what I have a question about, there is always someone out there having my same problem. What's even better, the people who take the time to give a solution. I've been tolerating my full screen problem for weeks. Tonight,.. I finally decided to get some expert advise. Thanks to all of you that know a whole lot more than I do.

Collapse -
How to open IE in "Full Screen"
by harolds63 / February 24, 2009 11:49 PM PST

How to open IE in "Full Screen" all the time?

Collapse -
Re: How to open IE in "Full Screen"
by Tufenuf / February 25, 2009 1:55 AM PST
Collapse -
other than iemaximizer, mentioned ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 25, 2009 3:11 AM PST

in someone's response, the other resizing techniques only work until you manually resize another window as some later time and then you are back to where you are now.

You can solve this for yourself with a quick script. I am sure you have noticed how sometimes you click a link and suddenly the explorer window is full screen. This can be done by you for your "Home Page" and then no matter how rou resize windows in a session the next time you open MSIE it will be full screen.

Click on ?Tools? then ?Internet Options?? and place the following in the Home Page Address section: (all one line, no spaces!!!)

javascript:resizeTo(800,600);moveTo (0,0);document.location.href='http://yourhomepage.com'

Be sure to put your actual desired start page in the single quote marks at the end (example: 'http://www.cnet.com'). The (800,600) portion should be set to match your display settings if you want it to be full screen. The above example is for 800 by 600 pixels.

To determine your screen resolution setting, right-click on any blank part of your Desktop, then choose ?Properties? to open the Display Properties window. Click on the ?Settings? tab, then look in the ?Screen Resolution? section for your current setting.

You could also run Internet Explorer from a shortcut with the KIOSK MODE switch added to the shortcut's command (iexplore -k) but then navigation is a little more difficult as you have to make use of some keyboard shortcuts -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154780

Collapse -
IMPORTANT NOTE regarding my initial post ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 25, 2009 11:17 PM PST

I was tired and typed some of that without thinking.

The javascript DOES NOT go on the home page through Internet options as I indicated. Instead, follow the following and you will have maximized windows.

(You can test it for yourself real quickly by simply copying one of the bolded lines to Start | Run then clicking OK.)

1. Right click on the desktop and select to create a shortcut

2. For the command line enter the path to iexplore.exe enclosed in quotes then a space and the following javascript:

javascript:resizeTo(1600,1200);moveTo(0,0);document.location.href='http://www.cnet.com'

3. as example:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" javascript:resizeTo(1600,1200);moveTo(0,0);document.location.href='http://www.cnet.com'

Be sure to put YOUR desired start page in the single quote marks at the end (example: 'http://datadoctors.com'). The (1600,1200) portion should be set to match your display settings if you want it to be full screen. The above example is for 1600 by 1200 pixels so adjust that to match your own

screen resolution.

To determine your screen resolution setting, right-click on any blank part of your Desktop, then choose ?Properties? to open the Display

Properties window. Click on the ?Settings? tab, then look in the ?Screen Resolution? section for your current setting.

If you do not care about opening to any specific page the following opwns to a blank page with MSIE maximized:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" javascript:resizeTo(1600,1200);moveTo(0,0);

Collapse -
How to open IE in full screen all the time
by Cheryladam / May 6, 2009 6:22 AM PDT

my computer is Dell and hard drive is LG

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.