How To forum

How to open back cover to upgrade RAM on HP ENVY 17

by DJHigg / August 30, 2011 3:52 AM PDT

I have loosened the 2 philips screws on the back plate to obtain access to the RAM modules but the cover will not come off. It appears as if there is another screw or catch in the middle of the cover - seemingly under the rubber foot. I gently lifted the cover to look inside but could not determine how to remove the cover. Can someone please help? Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to open back cover to upgrade RAM on HP ENVY 17
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to open back cover to upgrade RAM on HP ENVY 17
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
There are little tabs to hold it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2011 3:57 AM PDT

I can imagine the first time tech would think it's held in by a cable, but it's not. Have another tech show you the first time.

Having just installed a HDD in another laptop, GENTLE is not the word I would use to remove the cover.

Collapse -
Stilll Puzzled on How to Access RAM Modules...
by DJHigg / August 30, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

I have installed RAM in many previous HP laptops and various desktop models. There is definitley some sort of screw, latch or fastener holding this metal cover in place. To really obtain a good look would entail bending the edges of the cover and I do not want to do that. I tried peeling up part of the rubber foot to see if there was a screw underneath but found nothing. This one really preplexes me....I have tried the HP website but all the laptops they show are not this specific model. Even on the support page for the HP ENVY 17-2070nr laptop the images depiciting removing the back cover are not of the actual HP ENVY laptop.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

They often have install instructions. Also you have's chat button.

You should tell them on the chat the web pages are incorrect.

Collapse -
There are tabs
by etownnate / November 27, 2011 2:57 AM PST

Yes there are little "snap" tabs that hold it in at the front of the cover and then slide forward to release back tabs. That reveals the hard drives. Remove two screws on ram cover and slide cover forward while slightly pulling up.

Collapse -
Did you ever manage to figure this out?
by rusql / August 3, 2012 4:28 AM PDT

I have exactly the same problem!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.