Computer Newbies forum

Question

How to Move Outlook Express emails to New Computer?

by DementedAunt / February 11, 2012 11:48 PM PST

Hi,
I have emails stored in Outlook Express on an old desktop computer. I want to get rid of the computer but before doing so I need to retrieve documents, photos and emails. I can just about figure out how to move the docs and photos to a memory stick but the thought of moving the outlook express emails fills me with dread. I never could figure out how to backup Outlook Express emails and once lost all my emails when the computer crashed.
The system on my new laptop doesn't support Outlook Express. I'm hoping some kind person(s) here can give me a dummy's guide to moving my emails.
I'm a techno idiot whose understanding of abbreviated terms starts and ends with "OS = Operating System" and "LOL = Laughs out Loud" so simple language using whole words would be very much appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Move Outlook Express emails to New Computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Move Outlook Express emails to New Computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Move Outlook Express emails to new computer.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 12, 2012 12:09 AM PST

1. Find the Windows folder (in My Computer or Windows Explorer) where your mail folders are stored. That are Windows files with the extension .dbx, for example Inbox.dbx. It helps to set the folder options in Explorer to NOT hide extensions of known filetypes, so you see that .dbx.
2. Then copy the WHOLE folder to your memory stick.
3. If you prefer (but it isn't necessary) copy that WHOLE folder from your memory stick to the hard disk of your computer. Then they are there. Problem solved.

The next step might be to import those mails in your new email program. But you didn't tell which one you downloaded and installed, so I can't give detailed instructions for that. Common choices are (1) Windows Live Mail (part of the Windows Live Essentials suite of programs (of which I happen to use none myself, except the browser add-on Silverlight, which is a separare download also), or (2) Mozilla's Thunderbird. Then there's incredimail (liked by some people, but mostly known in these forums for the problems and issues it has) and a few other older mail programs.

See, no abbrevation at all!

And, by the way, for Windows 8 there's only a developers preview available for a rather limited number of people. The 'consumer preview' will be available within one month. If I were you I shouldn't download it.

Kees

Collapse -
Importing Old Mail to New Computer
by DementedAunt / February 12, 2012 7:38 PM PST

Thanks you, Kees, for your very clear instructions. Foolishly, I hadn't thought this out and it was only when you mentioned importing the mails that I realised the full implications of Windows not supporting Outlook Express.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.