Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How to monitor network traffic?

by Jim41 / August 15, 2009 9:39 AM PDT

All computers at this location access the Internet wirelessly through an 802.1g wireless router, which is cabled directly to a DSL modem. The wireless network is not encrypted, and frequently interlopers can be found camped-onto my Internet connection. Usually MAC filtering fixes this, but what I would like to do is to log traffic to and from the Internet. Can this be done from the router or by bridging the hard-wired connection between the router and the DSL modem? How difficult can this be? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to monitor network traffic?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to monitor network traffic?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MAC filters do not work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2009 9:54 AM PDT

There are very simple hack tools that let others use WEP and MAC filtered networks. To solve this issue is very very simple. Enable WPA, broadcast the SSID and no MAC filters. Done.

Collapse -
Yes, but...
by Jim41 / August 15, 2009 10:03 AM PDT

Yes, I realize this, but a couple of the computers here are older and won't do WPA. Anyhow, I'd sincerely like to hack/embarrass these nefarious campers!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2009 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but...

Turn off the wifi when you can. Remember that WEP, even with MAC filtering is cracked in about 2 minutes with the right software. Hopefully you can get the old gear wired and off the air soon.

Collapse -
by bill091 / August 17, 2009 3:59 AM PDT

If your router has a mirror/monitor option then you can do that but most consumer routers do not.

First you need a packet capture program and a PC you can leave running to capture it. Wireshark is your best bet since its free and works very well

The harder problem will be getting into the data stream. A old hub if they still make those would work between the router and the dsl modem.

They make real ethernet taps but they are rather expensive. The most common way to do this is with a switch that has the ability to "mirror" traffic. You will need a switch is manageable ie 'you can log into'. They are some consumer ones but the cheapest way to buy a old cisco or 3com on ebay. Even the very old switches can do this.

You still have the issue of knowing which traffic is valid and which is not. All traffic will appear to come from the address on the router so it will be more difficult to know if it is your traffic or your intruders traffic. To a point it will be obvious if they are visiting sites you do not.

Collapse -
by Jim41 / August 17, 2009 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: sniffing

Just the answer I was looking for, thanks very much. I'll initiate a search for that 'old hub' and see what I can find. I already have Wireshark; this ought to be fun.

Collapse -
by daslu / November 15, 2009 5:54 PM PST

as for me I used ProteMac Meter for monitoring traffic...I liked

Collapse -
Network Monitoring
by SukhdeepSinghS / April 28, 2010 9:59 PM PDT

Download a free trial & discover how SolarWinds flagship network monitoring software simply manages networks of all sizes.
Orion Network Performance Monitor (NPM) delivers powerful fault & performance management at an affordable price.
Monitors and analyzes real-time, in-depth, network performance statistics for routers, switches, wireless access points, servers, and any other SNMP-enabled devices. provide Network Monitoring Software with good results.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.