Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

How to make Desktop toolbar narrower ?

by CesiaS / January 21, 2013 5:05 PM PST

My Desktop toolbar (right click on taskbar->check desktop) suddenly become 7" wide and I do not know how to shrink it back to a more convenient width. Tried to drag it back , but I cannot get the <-> arrow to do so.
I have no idea what happened, help would be greatly appreciated as this covers a substantial part of my desktop when displayed.
Win7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1

all updates installed

AMD Radeon HD 6450 [Display adapter]
DELL E248WFP [Monitor] (24.0")

Avira Antivirus premium 2012
Comodo firewall free

CesiaS has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to make Desktop toolbar narrower ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to make Desktop toolbar narrower ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by CesiaS

Collapse -
Problem solved
by CesiaS / January 22, 2013 9:10 AM PST

Thank you all for taking time to help. As I followed all the suggestions and started playing with different toolbar settings and registry edits I noticed when scrolling that one jpg file on my desktop accidentally got saved with a very long name ( 7" long in fact) and the desktop toolbar size was accommodating that length.

I guess the lesson is not to have that many files saved on the desktop ( even temporarily) that the toolbar needs scrolling'
Thank you again

Collapse -
(NT) Did you unlock the taskbar first?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 12:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Also, there is, on a right click, View
by DChrisL / January 22, 2013 1:42 AM PST
Check to see if it is small icons; also, Personalisations may offer another way to resize the toolbar but as was pointed out if locked, it would change.
Collapse -
(NT) NOT Change
by DChrisL / January 22, 2013 1:43 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) I have small icons checked
by CesiaS / January 22, 2013 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: NOT Change
Collapse -
All checked but BOLD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 1:45 AM PST

Sorry you promised that was only for your Windows 8 posts.

Collapse -
by CesiaS / January 22, 2013 7:36 AM PST

taskbar is unlocked ( taskbar ->properties ->lock the taskbar left unchecked). I actually never keep the taskbar locked. Tried locking and unlocking - no change;

Collapse -
OK. There are magical registry entries that trojans and bad
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 7:43 AM PST
In reply to: yes
Collapse -
Thank you
by CesiaS / January 22, 2013 9:16 AM PST

for the link , it's always good to have a trusted link for troubleshooting.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.