Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

how to make a disc a blank cd again

by cnet3tee / August 31, 2009 4:55 PM PDT

I put in a blank disc, and about to burn the cd with iTunes. I wasn't sure if I want to select audio cd or mp3 disc, so I hesitated and took the disk out. When I put it back in, I think it asked if I want to "prepare" it for something (I forgot what...maybe to format) and I click "enter". It started "prepare" which I cancelled. Now iTunes says it's not a blank disk (and it's not. I looked under explorer and it had 5MB of something on it). I then formatted it...hoping to wipe out everything..but it's still not blank. How can I make it blank again so that I can use it with iTunes.

thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to make a disc a blank cd again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to make a disc a blank cd again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What type of CD?
by nino8888 / August 31, 2009 8:48 PM PDT

There are different types. Most common and cheapest one people use is CDR which you basically cannot modify or rewrite over existing file. If you want one that you can format, buy the CDR-W type.

Collapse -
I do have the cheap ones :(
by cnet3tee / September 1, 2009 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: What type of CD?

I'll try CDRW's too. thanks.

Collapse -
More writing to a CDR
by Paulross1 / September 4, 2009 9:10 PM PDT

Hi, yes the answer perhaps is to use good quality CD-RW's, however, I use Ashampoo Burning studio and it allows you to keep adding files to a CDR disc until it is full, it is able to do this because it does not "Close " the disk which most burning programs do, it's not necessarily the easiest way of recording & you may not be able to just play it in an ordinary player/Car CD, but you can play/use files/music etc, on a pc.

Collapse -
really? I could use that
by cnet3tee / November 7, 2009 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: More writing to a CDR

Thanks. I do run into closing the cd before it's really full and then can't write to it again. Good, this will come in handy.

Collapse -
About CDRW and many AudioCD players.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2009 11:57 PM PDT

CDRW while great for experimenting, is not nice and can confuse us as it may or may not play on many car CD players. This and more at the CDR FAQ. Read http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-23

"If you're trying to use CD-RW media, your odds of success are worse than with CD-R. CD-RW discs simply won't play on most CD players."

Collapse -
thanks
by cnet3tee / September 1, 2009 2:24 AM PDT

Thanks for the reference. I know I'll be refering to it often in the future. I didn't know CDRW can be less reliable than a CDR.

Collapse -
CD/CDRW
by Phil Crase / September 1, 2009 1:21 AM PDT

Once anything goes to a CDR it is a done deal, you cannot re use. as Bob said, CDRW disks are not friendly to many players (car use, etc) My suggestion would be to buy a bunch of inexpensive (cheap) CD-R's and play, get used doing burns. Also most basic software(s) that are loaded on new computers are barely ok. If you get serious about burning music, movies (DVD),you may want to invest in some decent aftermarket software, NERO, ROXIO, SONY ACID, something along those lines. Those make life a whole lot easier once you get into doing burning editing and other fancy stuff. Good luck and have fun, I do considerably burning and use Nero for the most part and like it very much.

Collapse -
OK
by cnet3tee / September 1, 2009 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: CD/CDRW

Thanks for pointing me to other options as that will definitely come in handy Happy

Collapse -
Table
by jeff_windows_team / September 1, 2009 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: OK
Collapse -
Why?
by Flatworm / September 4, 2009 11:27 PM PDT

There is nothing you can do to render a CD-R blank again. If you are worried about the data being recovered by someone out to get you, just deface the disk.

If, however, you want to re-use the disk, why on earth would you be so cheap? Just throw the old one out and use a new one. I've been getting them for about four cents apiece in lots of 100 at a local price club.

Of course, you can also opt for CD-RW disks, but why would you? They write so SLOWLY. Except for those limited instances where you might need to edit data actually on the CD itself, they have few advantages and numerous disadvantages, not least among which is cost.

Collapse -
why not?
by cnet3tee / November 7, 2009 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

I wasn't thinking whether I was being frugal or not...as I said, I didn't continue the process and it really didn't put anything on that CD. Since I didn't put any music on it, I wanted to use it again and that's when I come across that info. I wanted to know if there's a solution out there that I don't know of. If it's too much trouble, I can and will use a new disk. Thanks anyhow.

Collapse -
maybe not too late
by porsche10x / September 8, 2009 4:59 AM PDT

While it's true that a CD-R, once written to is no longer blank, that doesn't mean you can't use it. If the burning software exited gracefully, it may have left the session open when done. The nearly full remainder of the disk may still be available. Look more carefully. Depending on your burning software, sometimes the message goes like this: "The disk you're using is not blank..." but keep reading: "...if the session is open, would you like me to try burning in the remaining space?" or something like that. As was previously mentioned, a blank CD is like, what, a dime? a nickel? You can always throw it away, but like my mom used to say, "well, it's MY nickel."

Collapse -
cd-r,cdrw etc
by terrypowling / September 10, 2009 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: maybe not too late

Best way to destroy a cd or dvd with sensitive info is to put in microwave oven for few seconds, the metal film containing the data fries with one flash and it does not damage the microwave.
Have you considered getting a USB flash disk? The disk can be writen to as files, and most car audio systems have an aux port for either USB or ipod. The flash disk is more expensive than blank cd but is reusable, just treat it as another drive to drag n drop into. Note: I use Linux instead of Windows but Nissan Note plays music files via USB

Collapse -
I'm thinking the microwave oven is not a good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2009 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: cd-r,cdrw etc

While it does kill the CDR/W discs I wonder about the materials and chemicals used in the media are now released into the space you prepare food in.

It's not so much the cyanine dye used but the burning of the plastic media.

Let's just shred it.
Bob

Collapse -
microwave oven
by terrypowling / September 10, 2009 11:17 PM PDT

Hi Bob, the idea of using a microwave is that the film is disrupted, so unreadable. The unit is only used until the first flash, so no burning of plastic medium. Have been using this method for some years with no side-effects either for myself or microwave. Do not have shredder, and disks just go into recycle container as plastic.
Hope this clarifies.

Collapse -
Where there's smoke.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2009 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: microwave oven

Let's just make our choices but I'll be the control subject without the smoke for now.

Just chiming in with a thought,
Bob

Collapse -
Where there is smoke................
by terrypowling / September 11, 2009 6:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Where there's smoke.

Lol. Thanks and take care mate.

Terry.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.