Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to know if your hard drive crashed

by MURRAYMCCOURT / December 27, 2010 11:37 PM PST

How can you be sure the hard drive crashed and you need to replace it? I have a dell laptop that only show a blue screen when turned on. I've tried restarting several times.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to know if your hard drive crashed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to know if your hard drive crashed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Safe Mode?
by Coryphaeus / December 27, 2010 11:45 PM PST

On your unknown OS?

Collapse -
Safe Mode?
by MURRAYMCCOURT / December 28, 2010 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: Tried Safe Mode?

I have not tried safe mode but will. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1420 running Windows Vista. I took it to the local repair shop and they told me the hard drive was shot and I needed to replace it. The system is only a couple years old. Thanks!

Collapse -
I may bet you swapped the drive from your other machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2010 12:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Swapped Drives?
by MURRAYMCCOURT / December 28, 2010 12:14 AM PST

Why would you think I swapped drives? It's the original drive. It's a Dell Inspiron 1420 running Windows Vista. I'm going to try the suggestion of starting it in safe mode. I took it to a local repair shop and they told me the hard drive had to be replaced.

Collapse -
From your other post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2010 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: Swapped Drives?

Read your other post and you see a story (without mention of this crashed HDD or BSOD).

You have now created a small mess in the forum by creating TWO POSTS about what may be the same machine.

You may not have swapped drives but the shop could have.
Bob

Collapse -
Two Separate Posts
by MURRAYMCCOURT / December 28, 2010 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: From your other post.

I have two separate computers with two separate issues so I posted them separately so not to cause confusion asking about them both in one post.

The laptop is the one that doesn't boot up to the main screen, I only get a blue screen. I initially assumed after several tries that the hard drive went bad so I took it to the repair shop and they told me it had. I used a different forum to find out how I could transfer files from the old hard drive to a new one I purchased and was told that it might not be the hard drive. Therefore I posted this question to this forum instead.

The other issue I have is that I had two desktops (both Dells, Dimenions E310 originally running Windows XP Media Edition and a Optiplex GX620 running Windows XP)and combined them. The repair person suggested that I put both hard drives into one machine. I now have it set up that way and using it for now, but I want the information on drive "D" to be the main boot, not drive "C" and wanted to see how I can switch them.

Collapse -
Heed the words in red.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2010 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Two Separate Posts

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

The other post led off with taking two computers and making one. Then we see this post and wonder.

--> There are boot CDs that contain HDD test programs on them. And some offer such on floppy disks. But the details are slim so I can't tell which to write about. I'll go with bootable CDs that have HDD test apps on them. To get more specific we'd have to know the make of the HDD.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ contains some HDD test apps.
Bob

Collapse -
Have you tried ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 28, 2010 3:06 AM PST

booting to your installation CD or to a Linux Live CD?

If it boots using one or the other can you see the hard drive? Can you read files on the hard drive or can you copy them to a USB flash drive? If you answer yes the drive is not dead.

Have you checked the manufacturer of the HARD DRIVE in the laptop to see what they offer for hard drive diagnostics? Most offer floppy based but many offer bootable CDs with the diagnostic tools.

I see where later in the thread you do tell us it is a Dell Inspiron 1420 and Dell offers a recovery partition that would also show you whether the drive was readable or not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.