Office & Productivity Software forum

How to install MS Office 2003 CD in Ultrabook

by mikeworld2 / January 3, 2013 12:27 PM PST

I've old MS-Office 2003 Student Edition CD. I like to install this in Lenovo Twist Ultrabook (which doesn't have CD/DVD drive). How can I do that?

I have product key for the MS-Office, but don't have another computer where I can copy the files from CD to USB.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to install MS Office 2003 CD in Ultrabook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to install MS Office 2003 CD in Ultrabook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The best thing might be to bite the bullet and get an
by VAPCMD / January 3, 2013 12:35 PM PST

external CD-DVD burner. Using it now can load Office and later you could use it for creating backups

Collapse -
Re: CD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 5:18 PM PST

If none of your friends of family members has a PC you can use to copy the files from CD to USB, and there's no public library or such to use a PC where you live, then you'll have to buy some hardware yourself. Could be an external drive or a complete PC. Your choice.

Collapse -
Office 2003 installation: Error message
by mikeworld2 / January 6, 2013 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: Re: CD

Could burn the CD but now facing this issue:

Trying to install MS-Office Professional with Windows 8 professional.

Getting the error message after entering the product key.

"Microsoft office setup cannot continue because the installation source has been corrupted"

The product key is correct. Tried researching and saw this link:

(however the reference files have been changed)

Could someone help!

Collapse -
You can buy external DVD/CD drives for $30
by wpgwpg / January 6, 2013 11:44 AM PST

External DVD/CD drives are available in most stores that sell computers for around $30, so spend the $30 and your problem's solved.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Student Edition
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 12:15 PM PST

Ouch. That version was a bit odd. Did you at least try it from a USB DVDRW drive?

Collapse -
Office 2003 installation: Error message
by mikeworld2 / January 6, 2013 1:06 PM PST
In reply to: Student Edition

Yes, tried it from USB too. Still the same error.

Collapse -
Re: corrupt file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 6:19 PM PST

If the file on the original CD is corrupt, there's not much hope.
LibreOffice is a free download and for most of us an acceptable replacement for Office 2003.

Collapse -
So the install fails?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 12:45 PM PST

Try the old duplicate the CD trick.

Also, it won't run properly until you install Office 2003 SP3. Some folk think it failed to install because of that error when they run it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.