Computer Newbies forum

Question

How to install hard drive?

by bjjb9611 / June 13, 2011 4:51 AM PDT

I was recently given a gateway laptop with a crashed hard drive(?). My funds are extremely limited so I thought about replacing this myself. I looked online and found a compatable one at sparepartswarehouse.com for around $50 which I can do. MY question is how difficult is this? and do I have to reinstall the operating system. If so, how?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to install hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to install hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes, You Can Do It, But The Specifics Depend On....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 13, 2011 5:11 AM PDT

...the items you have at your disposal.. The actual hard drive "hardware" reinstall is easy.. Depending on the model, (which you didn't give us), unscrew, or slide out the old hard drive after unplugging it from the wiring inside, then plug in the new one and slide in or screw the cover back on..

And yes, the operating system plus all drivers and software will need to be reinstalled on the new hard drive.. If you're lucky enough to have been given a set of recovery discs, or wise enough to have creating such discs using the recovery disc creation tool on Gateway machines, then the reinstall should be fairly simple.. After backing up all your important documents on the existing setup, remove the old hard drive, replace with the new hard drive, then boot from the first recovery disc.. (As long as the system is set to boot from the DVD/CD drive first, then disc will automatically boot at start up. If the system is not set to boot at startup, then you need to access the BIOS settings and change the boot order so it boots from the DVD/CD drive first.) Once the first recovery disc starts up, you follow the prompts to create a new partition on the drive, format the drive, then reinstall the operating system and all the other stuff as well. Much of these steps are automatic as long as the recovery discs are specifically created for your computer.

If you don't have recovery discs, then you'll want to contact Gateway and obtain them.. Generally, computer manufacturers will provide such discs at a fairly inexpensive price.

If you don't have, or can't get, recovery discs for you computer, it gets a lot more difficult.. First, you have to purchase a new operating system installation DVD/CD.. The cost depends on where you buy it and which version you need.. Think $100 - $200.. Next, you'll need to obtain all of the driver installers BEFORE in attempting the reinstall, then burn them to a CD for use after the operating system is on the machine... You probably can find the drivers at the Gateway site, but if you're wanting to install an operating system which is different from the original model, it can get problematic as to whether such exist. Finding the correct driver isn't always and easy task. (Writing down all the device types, device manufacturers, and driver versions from "Device Manager" is a good step to help you find those drivers later.) And after that, you'll need to find all the various software titles you want to install for your personal enjoyment.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Re: installing hard drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 13, 2011 5:11 AM PDT

The service manual of your laptop (you didn't tell make and model, so I can't tell) will tell you the specs of what you need (probably a 2.5" SATA-drive) and how to replace the old one by the new one. Probably, all you need is the right screwdriver.

However, before buying another disc you should be sure it IS the disc that is broken. When my daughters laptop said it couldn't find the hard disk a few years ago it turned out to be a defective motherboard in stead of a defective disk. So definitely the first thing to do is to get the old disk out and try it elsewhere (for example via an USB to IDE/SATA cable). Or run the manufacturers diagnostics from a CD or USB-stick.

And yes, new disks don't come with an OS. So you would need either:
1. The manufacturer supplied original system recovery media.
2. Your own copy of Windows 7 (assuming the manufacturer has all necessary drivers)
3. A version of Linux to install (that's free).
To install any OS, you'll need to use the DVD-drive. So you must be sure that functions OK, before you start spending money.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Skill level
by Willy / June 13, 2011 11:46 AM PDT

Goto the Gateway support website, it *may* have info on changing the HD. If not, at least locate the HD to replace. depending on the model#, remove and swap out. You will need access to the recovery/restore discs for your model# laptop. If this isn't that old, Gateway should sell to you for a small cost. However, google away and buy from online sources that offer such for that model#, buy from trusted source. Otherwise, you have to get your hands on retail OS install or similar to re-install the OS. I leave alot out, but common sense of return here for more details. Also, once the HD is replaced, Again Gateway offers the detailed info on OS reloading. I don't consider this a difficxult task but that depends on your skills.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.