Android forum

Question

How to install apps on SD card instead of the phone?

by ppdjoy / July 1, 2013 7:18 AM PDT

Hi

I have Samsung Galaxy S 4G (1st gen.) for almost a year now. I have almost hit the phone's internal storage limit of 512MB. Recently, the phone warned me that I have only ~55MB left of the internal storage.

Although I have an 8GB SD card, the apps that I install from Google Play doesn't install into the SD card automatically. Even though I have the USB Debugging enabled, the apps that I have on the phone's internal storage cannot be moved to the SD card. I don't know how to make the phone install apps only on the SD card or move most (if not all) apps into the SD card.

I looked online for answers. But I couldn't find any for my particular phone model: Samsung Galaxy S 4G SGH-T959V.

Please help me with this issue.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to install apps on SD card instead of the phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to install apps on SD card instead of the phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Well, no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 8:04 AM PDT

Android does not offer such a feature. If your device has a version of Android that supports moving to SD memory then it's over in Settings Applications but as it stands today, you don't see any app install directly to other memory.
Bob

Collapse -
How about updates?
by ppdjoy / July 2, 2013 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, no.

I noticed another thing when installing new updates for the apps that I have on the phone. When the phone says the "internal memory is full", I uninstall all the updates of that particular app, & then when I re-install it again, there is no problem. But will that solution work all the time?

Sorry if this sounds too simple. I'm quite a newbie in Android system.

Collapse -
You found it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2013 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: How about updates?

I noticed that too. But even back in windows it's a time honored tradition to uninstall the old and install the new. The only new thing here (or what is old is new again) is that we have less memory space to play with so it pops up sooner.
Bob

Collapse -
Option of where to install app
by hendricksjana / October 23, 2013 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, no.

Could an App be written to give you the option of where on the phone to install it to?

If so, why don't more app writers do that?

Collapse -
Remember this is Android
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2013 10:18 AM PDT

A quick look at the install and the answer is no. Not all versions of Android have the move to SD Card so we're back to the beginning.

I think this answers both of your questions.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Depends on the apps
by iminmessaging / July 3, 2013 10:56 PM PDT

Many apps are designed to install in the phone's internal memory only. So, you can't do anything in that. There are some apps in Google market which help in transferring apps from phone memory to sd card. But they are not very much helpful. It all depends on the apps and your phone's preferences.

Collapse -
Yeh...but
by ppdjoy / July 4, 2013 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends on the apps

Yeh, but the problem is my phone's internal memory is just 512MB. With all the apps already installed by default (which I don't use at all), every time I update an useful app, the phone warns me of hitting the limit.

Collapse -
Remove unwanted apps
by iminmessaging / July 7, 2013 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Yeh...but

If you have some apps which you do not use then it is better to remove those apps. You can also go in application manages and CLEAR DATA of some of the apps which are not for social networking. Many apps just save all the data about whatever you did or saw. Like the internet app, you can remove data from that. There are some apps also available which clear the unwanted data from your apps.

Collapse -
Answer
Try Link2SD app
by John_Farrel / August 8, 2013 8:28 PM PDT

Don't know any such thing regarding Android devices. In this matter the Nokia ones were far better, they actually made a confirmation before installig things. But let's not discuss what's bad here. Though we have an another option on Android, to move installed applications or system inbuilt applications to memory card or SD card through an application named "Link2SD". You may download that and move applications on the system memory to SD.

Collapse -
Remember the original question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Link2SD app

-> How to install apps on SD card instead of the phone?

So far all the link2sd apps I've seen have us install to the phone then do the move or link. Unless the question changes.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
you can do this by CWM recovery
by bhavinderrao9 / October 16, 2013 12:25 AM PDT

my friend if you want to transfer any application to your sd card you can do it simply by using the cwmm recovery method you can make sd card partitions and use it as internal memory of your mobile.
read this article by this you can make the partition and install it easily to your sd

vrtechno.com/2013/10/how-increase-internal-memory-of-android-mobile-by-using-sd-card/

Collapse -
Answer
No need for debugging
by John_Farrel / October 17, 2013 6:28 PM PDT

Update to Android 4.2.2 as it offers flexibility to install and save app on the SD card. Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Its Not Possible
by fugenxtechnology / November 25, 2013 9:25 PM PST

Hi This feature is not possible in Android phones I Think.If Its Possible to Do That Tell Me.Thanks

Collapse -
Of course it is possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2013 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: Its Not Possible

But many versions of this OS don't have it. If you were a programmer you could mitigate this by changing your design and more. And as the OS has how many versions this feature came and went and has returned which has confused so many.

So let's recap. "Install to SD Card" has NEVER been a feature in any version of Android OS. However after the install there has been a feature to "Move to SD Card" which may or may not be there on your device.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
downloading to sd card only
by cloboo / February 5, 2014 11:24 PM PST

Instructions to help fix my problem with downloading to sd card

Collapse -
How can anyone help....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 6, 2014 1:11 AM PST

....without a description of the problem ?? You should try starting a new thread next time instead of posting to an older thread.

Collapse -
Answer
This old post is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2014 1:21 AM PST

Android moves fast. Some of the information here may be outdated. Please start a new post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.