Laptops forum

General discussion

How to identify and replace Dell Inspiron 8100 cmos battery

by laptophelp9000 / January 21, 2011 10:16 PM PST

Much appreciated if anyone can advise on this. I think my cmos battery is dead so have opened my laptop to determine what type of cmos battery the laptop uses. I have now opened it but cannot identify the cmos battery.

I have added a link to an image, and highlighted what I think is the battery. But it seems to be permanently attached to the motherboard...

http://picasaweb.google.com/116396418349376271483/CnetForum?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJg5je5b60oAE&feat=directlink

Is this the correct thing that I am looking at? If so how does one remove and replace this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to identify and replace Dell Inspiron 8100 cmos battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to identify and replace Dell Inspiron 8100 cmos battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Didn't find a CMOS battery but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2011 2:18 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by laptophelp9000 / January 28, 2011 6:05 PM PST

This document is most helpful, thanks-you. Will see how I get along.

Collapse -
BTW.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2011 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Your highlight was a tad thin so I didn't see it the first time I looked. I am in electronics design and that part looks like an surface mount inductor coil or "not a battery."

The reserve battery should be good for years. Figure 2 to 5 but your post is light on detail.
Bob

Collapse -
Initial symptoms
by laptophelp9000 / February 19, 2011 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: BTW.

Just to explain why I was thinking it was the reserve battery.

My main battery had stopped working some time ago, and I could only work directly off the mains. The laptop then started displaying a message about no date and time settings. Initially it would do this intermittently. I would then set these, and the laptop would boot up. But this became more frequent. Initially, I thought it was just because I hadn't powered it up for some time, but it started to do this every time I powered it up. More recently I was not even able to do this, it would not let me go into the set-up at all, I would simply get a prompt in the middle of a black screen.

I have had this laptop since about 2002..

Peter

Collapse -
Ahh, that's good to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2011 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Initial symptoms

Those dead batteries usually stress the circuits on the mainboard leading to further issues. While I know to never leave old batteries in laptops this information is not published by the makers. Why should they?

The story is complete and the symptoms are consistent with failed batteries.

Remember that at 300 cycles for most batteries you are well beyond the service life of any battery.
Bob

Collapse -
reserve batteries [cmos battery] are located:
by unkledaddy / December 18, 2011 8:09 PM PST
In reply to: Initial symptoms

if you haven't located that battery.....it's right under the palm rest section between the plastic and the metal plate....and it's a string of little round pen light sized batteries covered in plastic stuff

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.