Computer Help

General discussion

how to hook up laptop to pc to use internet

by wichitaclaw / February 25, 2005 8:14 PM PST

can you show diagram how to hook my laptop to my pc so i can use my pc's internet.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to hook up laptop to pc to use internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to hook up laptop to pc to use internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how to hook up laptop to pc
by kittyk / April 7, 2005 11:34 PM PDT

how to hook up laptop to pc

Collapse -
How to hook up labtop to pc
by shantur26 / March 19, 2008 7:59 AM PDT

I need help with hooking up my labtop to my home computer.

Collapse -
Instead of Hooking This 3 YEAR Old Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 9:21 AM PDT

..please start a new topic of your own on the main page.. Open the main page, click on the "Create a new thread" button in the upper right area, then post your question..

When you do so, please give us more information than you've done here..

What kind of laptop? Which operating system?

What kind of "home computer"? What operating system?

What are you trying to do with the "hooking up"?

For most such adventures, it's easier to purchase a router and connect both computers to the router, then share the computers on a network.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
you need to setup a home network
by Nightmares0nwax / March 19, 2008 8:46 PM PDT

ok you cannot connect your laptop up to your pc to use the internet, what you need is a router, or also called a switch. most come with 4 ports for 4 computers to be connected.

how it works is that your router connects to the net, and you connect the computers indiviually to the router, so it shares the connection. your router stores your username and password so it will sign on for you. your ISP website will have the configurations settings essential to operation for your router, like VCI settings.

www.portforward.com will explain pretty much everything on how to allow special applications access to the net. by forwarding the signal or ports to your computers IP from the routers IP.

your pcs are connected up to your router with an ethernet cable, it requires no drivers/software/isp software of any kind. just plug it in and go.

what you are effectively making is a home network. with individual computers having their own subnet address. the router itself has an external IP address that is viewed by the outside world as one computer. routers also act as hardware firewalls and are very secure.

what ever you do, do not buy a Hub, hubs were invented to slow down your net connections and specifically designed to piss people off.

your ISP might supply you with a free router but it will be crap and unsecure. you really need to spend upwards of 100

Collapse -
I Need To 'setup a home network' ??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

Just curious why you provided this information by responding to ME?? Did you instead mean to respond to the 3 year old post of "wichitaclaw" or to the more recent "shantur26"?

And unfortunately, since we've got so little information, the poster may ALREADY have a router, or switch, or nothing. They may simply need advice on how to use such. Or maybe they're trying to "connect" the two computers from two remote locations across the country which would require a different type of solution entirely.. As mentioned earlier, a new thread with the appropriate information would be nice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
How to hook up lap top to pc to use internet
by boss1953 / September 24, 2008 10:58 AM PDT

i have a emachine with windows xp that is hooked up to charter cable with a motorola modem. I also have toshiba satellite laptop with windows vista that came with a wireless router.

Not sure what to do?? Talked to my local cable co. several times & jerked around to 5 different people who all told me different things & now I'm really confussed??? One person person "seemed to know" what she was talking about? & said to purchase a "belkin card" at walmart or Bestbuy, download on the laptop first, then the pc & then I can hook up the router to the laptop?? Another perosn said I have to put the router on the pc, then download the "belkin card" to the pc, then the laptop. The last person said they didn't really know just to let their installer take care of it, but he never showed up today??? HELP!!! Beverly, SC

Collapse -
hiii
by patel_s / March 5, 2012 5:13 PM PST

tes can u see me diagram how to hook

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.