TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How to hook PC speakers to TV + PS3?

by regulator / June 1, 2008 4:43 AM PDT

Hi all - I've got an Olevia 323 V 23" HDTV in my room (a very small room), and I have a Playstation 3 hooked up to it via HDMI. The picture and sound both work great, but the built in speakers from the TV are pretty weak. I wanted to use this set of creative inspire 2.1 pc speakers that I have to play the audio coming out from the TV.

I hooked up the speakers normally and I took the audio plug from the speakers and plugged it into the headphone jack of the TV, thinking that would work, but the sound still came out from the TV speakers. I then tinkered around with the PS3 settings ( I tried hooking up the Red and White RCA from the PS3 to the proper inputs on the TV, and then the speakers to the headphone jack again; also changed the output audio settings on the PS3 from HDMI to the analog, but then I got no sound from anywhere).

So, what should I do if I wanted to connect the external PC speakers to my TV so that I can hear the TV audio from them at all times (when watching TV , watching movies, or playing games on the PS3)? Please no recommendations on buying more expensive speakers or units, unless there is no other way around it - thanks alot for your help in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to hook PC speakers to TV + PS3?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to hook PC speakers to TV + PS3?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
update
by regulator / June 1, 2008 9:10 AM PDT

ok i have it kinda hooked up, but not the way i originally intended. what i did is i went to radio shack and bought adapters and hooked it up in this way.

PS3 to HDTV through HDMI
PS3 RCA audio video cable to an adapter with 1 stereo plug at the end, the that 1 stereo plug to another adapter with a stereo (female) hole at the end, then finally the PC speakers got hooked up the the female stereo adapter.

The result of this is sound coming from my speakers when the PS3 is on. The downside is that I can't control the volume at all from my TV.

What I want to be able to do is at least control the volume through my TV - how should I hook it up to accomplish this? Thanks

Collapse -
bump
by regulator / June 3, 2008 6:51 AM PDT

any ideas? i really thought playing it through the headphone jack would do it, but it didnt work - does this have to do with the fact that it's using HDMI for the sound?

Collapse -
Need to connect actual speakers to TV
by skygreenleopard / February 25, 2009 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: bump

The only way to control the volume from the TV is to make sure the speakers are coming from a line connected to the set, not the PS3. Either see if your TV has RAC outputs (red/white) and use an RCA-to-2.5mm headphone converter (also like $3 at Radio Shack) to connect your PC speakers, or the headphone jack on the TV. Do normal headphones work with the headphone jack? Ff they don't, then your jack is broken, and there's not much you can do at that point.

Collapse -
Change PS3 settings from HDMI sound output to RCA/auxillary
by rbrtwhill / March 27, 2010 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: bump

There is a setting on the PS3 to determine if it uses HDMI or RCA output for sound. Change it from HDMI to RCA/auxillary output and it will work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.