Networking & Wireless

General discussion

How to hook my Blu-Ray player up to the Internet

by msoucy / December 6, 2009 11:06 AM PST

I just bought a Panasonic Blu-Ray player. I want to connect it to the Internet. It does not provide a wireless Internet connection. I must plug in a network cable. The problem is my computer is located in another room, and on another floor. I have a wireless router connected to computer now though. Is there anything I can do to get my Blu-Ray player connected to the Internet?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to hook my Blu-Ray player up to the Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to hook my Blu-Ray player up to the Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quite a few choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2009 9:15 PM PST
Collapse -
WiFi adapter
by alterseekers / November 9, 2010 2:26 AM PST

Well, since you already have a wireless router, this should work well with what you want. Check out the Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter. This WiFi adapter is compatible with most internet-ready devices such as TVs, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, and more. You can also use it to connect notebooks, wireless printers, and other networked home theater devices. For more information about the Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter, visit http://bit.ly/bByST7 and discover this wonderful device from Netgear. Enjoy!

Collapse -
Wireless is convience, but my understanding is...
by ahtoi / November 9, 2010 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: WiFi adapter

that it's not all that great when it comes to streaming hi-def video (no personal experience with it though). Is this Netgear something special (just curious)?

Collapse -
Within reason?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2010 12:17 AM PST

I can stream Hulu and such over my 802.11g to the HDTV just fine. Yes it's not as good as a DVD when you skip chapters as you have seconds to wait as the buffers fill. Is that your "not all that great" issue?
Bob

Collapse -
NETGEAR
by alterseekers / November 10, 2010 3:17 AM PST

They are pretty special products actually. they are super easy to use. Check out the AV product line web site, as they are affordable and easy solutions to connect your products to the internet and stream live video as well

Collapse -
Powerline vs Wireless
by Mira Belle / February 18, 2011 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: NETGEAR

I have a Netgear N router in addition to the ATT FIOS box with a Mac and several PC's on the network.

I want to stream movies through my Samsung Blu Ray from Costco which does not have a wireless adapter but can plug hardwire but I can't get cable to the TV area. Everybody tells me to buy a Roku, but I hate to do it if networking will solve my problem.

Which would you recommend:

- Netgear Powerline AV200 adapter XAV2001-bridge

or

- Netgear Powerline AV 200 Wireless-N Extender Kit XAVNB2001

or is there something else I should be looking at?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.