How To forum

Question

How to get started video editing with two monitors.

by geoshimomura / August 20, 2013 10:39 AM PDT

I have a new Windows 7 desktop computer with two monitors but do not have knowledge or experience on video editing using two monitors. Would appreciate any assistance on how to get started...software, physical set up, etc. Any referrals to workshops or forums or on-line classes would also be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get started video editing with two monitors.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get started video editing with two monitors.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's your choice all the way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2013 11:01 AM PDT

Why would you think there is no way but such as you learned in the classroom?

Collapse -
What I'm using.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2013 8:01 AM PDT

Here's how I digitize old analog content -> A Philips DVDR3576H

No computer required and can pop the content to DVD for use later on the PC. Quite the time saver.

As to titles I've used, that's a long list. Remember that one never is locked to one title as the client is always right. Try Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas and for the cheaper seats Corel's VideoStudio and others.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
With the monitors confgured for an Extended desktop view,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 21, 2013 1:32 AM PDT

launch your video editing program and spread out across the two monitors.
Editing with two monitors is not that much different from editing with one monitor, you just have much more room to put stuff.

You'll soon figure out what arrangement works best for you and what you are most comfortable with.

As Bob said, there is no "correct" was to set this up.

On the other hand, that may not be the question you are actually asking. Did you mean that you had never done video editing before and wanted referrals to workshops or forums on how to get started with video editing

P

Collapse -
Still unsure about getting started in digital video editing.
by geoshimomura / August 21, 2013 7:55 AM PDT

Thanks to both of your responses...you're right in questioning what I really am getting at. I did movie editing with Super 8 and 8 mm format in the "old" days but have never gotten my feet wet with digital video editing on my desktop computer. I only understand that having two monitors (on one keyboard) can be easier to edit than using only one monitor. I have old 8mm films and VHS that need to be converted to digital format and downloaded on my new computer as well as having to decide on which video editing software to use. I asked about the use of two monitors because I'm thinking that it would be less stressful learning to work with two from the start rather than extend the learning curve learning from one then "graduating" to two. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.