Computer Help

General discussion

How to get rid of Somoto Toolbar?

by rickryan1305 / February 27, 2011 7:32 AM PST

I cannot get rid of the Somoto toolbar, tried looking in programs and other places but cannot fing it?? Thanks for any help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get rid of Somoto Toolbar?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get rid of Somoto Toolbar?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which OS, and where is this toolbar
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 27, 2011 8:45 PM PST

You don't tell us much.

If this is a browser toolbar then try removing it through View > Toolbars. If that fails, try the browser's Add-ons.

That's assuming you are using Windows, and also assuming this is a browser toolbar, but you don't say.

Mark

Collapse -
Somoto
by rickryan1305 / February 27, 2011 9:52 PM PST

I am running XP and it is in the Mozilla browser I can hide it in the View Toolbars but how can I get rid of it from my PC? tHANKS

Collapse -
Somoto toolbar removal
by kholderness / July 5, 2011 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Somoto

Try this>>> Go to C:\Program Files\somototoolbar and choose the uninstall.exe. It looks like it removes everything including the folders. I did not check the registry to make sure it was clean. You will need to restart explorer to finish the process.
Have Great Day!
Kevin H.

Collapse -
tHANKS mARK
by rickryan1305 / February 27, 2011 9:54 PM PST

I was able to uninstall from the browser Add ons! Thanks!

Collapse -
Good work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 28, 2011 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: tHANKS mARK

and thanks for telling us.

Mark

Collapse -
had same problem....
by rasnygel / April 3, 2011 12:14 AM PDT

but i removed it from my add ons and restarted firefox and voila .. poofff gone,. thanks mflex

Collapse -
file found but no program, wtf
by CHALD0N / May 9, 2011 2:16 AM PDT

I found this in my registry as I was cleaning it:

Invalid class reference Somoto Toolbar HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{c3721e85-f0ac-4b7e-ae4c-3e738011dc9d}

Collapse -
ANOTHER Toolbar that has been shoved down user's throats.
by webserf / September 6, 2011 1:40 AM PDT

When Installing SMRecorder, I had to say "no" to installing Google Toolbar, and other "helper" at least 4 times. Along with SMRecorder "Free" (remember NOTHING is really free), it tried to sneak in the "Somoto" toolbar. Even though I denied the installation, I had to uninstall it.

I downloaded this file from download.com, a partner of cnet. I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED in this because I've always helo cnet and download.com in very high regard.

Collapse -
This has been alerted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 2:54 AM PDT

As products update, you find things like this.

Collapse -
Thanks for reporting this!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 6, 2011 3:10 AM PDT

I will let the Download.com team know.

Thanks again,
-Lee

Collapse -
I think the software title has been removed from...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 6, 2011 3:15 AM PDT

Download.com already... I can't find the link to it anywhere.

Can you find it?

Let me know.
Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Somoto toolbar - can't get rid of it, thanks CNET
by jeco424 / January 18, 2013 9:59 PM PST

Downloaded Youtube installer and Somoto was sneaked in, I declined the toolbar but it downloaded anyway. I ran the uninstall from Advanced system care including the thorough cleansing removal and the program is no longer listed but I keep getting Facesmooch and bullshiit toolbar on all my browsers. This is EXACTLY what I hoped to avoid by using CNET. So now i'm locked into a toolbar I don't want that I can't get rid of and everything routed thru bing search.

BAD CNET, really BAD

Collapse -
Downloaded Daemon Tools Lite, Got FaceSmooch
by TheBurningRed / March 9, 2013 12:38 PM PST

I downloaded DTL using Chrome, declined FaceSmooch, and got it anyways. I went through the program files and both Firefox and Chrome add-ons/extensions and got rid of it, and the toolbar itself is gone.

However...

...now whenever I open a browser, the home page it brings up is a stupid FaceSmooch search engine. I can't get rid of the damn thing. Any ideas on how to get this set back up to open to Verizon Yahoo's home page instead of this broke search engine?

Collapse -
Changed Your Homepage Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 10, 2013 1:48 AM PST
Collapse -
They seem to have found this post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2013 2:11 AM PDT

An alert arrived asking for an edit of this post. It's a shame they didn't reply with their concerns, what they changed or answer it directly.

Why didn't MarkoSomoto answer here?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.