Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

How to get rid of MyStart by IncrediBar on Firefox

by 20071112 / January 27, 2012 6:33 PM PST

I use Firefox 9.0.1 which I also use for search and downloads

I installed a few utilities the other day taking due care to check off boxes that install free tool bars which come with free utilities.

However, one MyStart by somehow managed to install itself. From then on, whenever I tried to Google any Search it would be MyStart that would display its findings on Firefox browser screen.

So, I went to Search box situated at top right corner of Firefox and reselected Google as my default search engine but that did not prevent MyStart to keep replacing Google.

Next, I removed all other search engines except Google using Manage Search Engines option in Firefox. Despite this MyStart did not stop popping up.

So, I went to CCleaner >> Options >> Cookies and set Delete Cookies for MyStart IncrediBar. For a while it seemed to have gone away but within a day or two it managed a comeback, I don't know how.

I am fed-up with this nagging IncerdiBar which has somehow smuggled itself in at the time of installation of some other free utility despite my disagreeing to install it at that time.

I do not know how to get rid off it.

Hoping if anyone can suggest a permanent solution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get rid of MyStart by IncrediBar on Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get rid of MyStart by IncrediBar on Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Another quick option to try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 6:52 PM PST

You said you went to the Search box at the top right cornet of Firefox.

From there click "Manage Search Engines" and in the new window and try the "Restore Defaults" option.

Have you checked your Firefox Add-ons?

Also, has your Home Page changed?

You might also want to search through Control Panel > Programs and Features, and see if there has been any Software installed which can be uninstalled.

Let us know and if none of that works we will see what other options are available.

Collapse -
Re: Another quick option to try
by 20071112 / January 28, 2012 5:21 PM PST

Thanks for your suggestions.

I tried Restore default option but it did not help.

I checked Add-ons but no trace of MyStart by IncrediBar.

My Home Page has not changed.

I searched through Control Panel > Programs and Features but there was no such software installed.

Recently, I noticed that MyStart Search takes over (displays results) only when I type my search query in address bar of Firefox (sometime I do this out of earlier habit from IE9).

As against this Google Search Engine displays results when I type my search query in right side search box of Firefox.

Collapse -
Which OS?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 29, 2012 4:02 AM PST

Is this Windows, (which one), or Mac, Linux?

If this is Windows, next steps to try.

1] Task Manager

Open the Task Manager, (right click the Taskbar, select Task Manager). In the new window select the Processes tab. Make sure you click "Show processes for all users" at the bottom. Search down the list for any entry that looks like MyStart and/or Incredibar. If you find any, select the entry then "End process". That's a temporary measure. Exit out of the Task Manager.

2] Goto Start > Run, type in msconfig (to be clear that is MSCONFIG), and click OK. In the new window go to the Startup tab and look down the list for any MyStart and/or Incredibar entries. If you find any, remove the tick then click Apply/OK. These changes will not take place until you next reboot the system.

3] Open Firefox and in the address bar type about:config . Accept the warning. When the list populates, type into the address bar MyStart and see what entries are found. Do the same for Incredibar. If entries are found, you can try and change those to default, but if you are not sure, copy the entries and post them into your reply here.

If none of these work your next options looks like referring on to another forum at BleepingComputer. To see what I mean, have a read of the discussion in the link below to see what steps had to be taken;

If you do go there, you would be best to register an account and post your question to get personal help from them.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Followed all your instructions
by 20071112 / January 29, 2012 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: Which OS?

Thanks a lot. Thanks for step-by-step suggestions.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, it's Win 7.

1] Sorry again, Task Manager I had tried but forgotten to mention.

2] Now, I tried msconfig but couldn't locate.

3] Then, tried about config and found a few reference to other people facing same issue.

Visited one of them and seemed good number of guys were troubled by this. One of the solutions offered was (note below) but I couldn't go beyond step 2.

Other suggestion was to go to which I did and found good number of people reporting same issue and number of solution offered as well but, unfortunately, those were very lengthy and very complex.

Another link suggested TechSupportForum and I visited it. That suggested which you had already suggested and I had tried (Add-ons in Firefox).

I had also tried (for other reasons) Norton Power Eraser but it did not find any thing. I mentioned this because some people in their posts perceived it as virus/malware.

4] I have registered with and submitted a post at

The correct way to get Incredimail Mystart out of Firefox is:
1. At Firefox address bar, enter about:config and press ENTER.
2. At Filter: field, type keyword.url
3. You should see a Preference name of keyword.URL in the list. Double click it, a "Enter String Value" input box will appear.
4. Replace the string with: Click "OK" button
For Internet Explorer, you just install Google Toolbar again, and Mystart goes away.

Collapse -
by ahsanbhai420 / February 11, 2012 3:16 AM PST worked 4 me

Collapse -
by Goose8877 / February 20, 2012 5:10 AM PST

@maanojrkhit - I had all the same problems you did, and I followed the incredimail mystart instructions and it fixed the issue. Do we think that this was intentional with firefox to do this? It seems like it was part of the update. I remembered seeing it as my update was taking place because I always watch to see what all is loading on my computer. I'm just glad I'm rid of that disgusting little bug. Happy

Collapse -
another solution
by dclevenger / March 8, 2012 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: FIXED IT!

I had the same nagging toolbar. When I went to Add Programs listing, I found a toolbar called 'DealBullDog' (I, too, specifically uncheck all boxes about installing extraneous toolbars. I un-installed it and the issue went away. Knock on wood.....

Collapse -
Incredibar installs in Google Chrome too
by rn1974 / July 7, 2012 3:58 AM PDT

I don't think so - unless other browsers are doing it too - I got it in Google Chrome too.

Collapse -
Nasty little bug
by rn1974 / July 7, 2012 3:59 AM PDT

Yeah, I wish I had a fly swatter for my computer LOL.

Collapse -
MyStart by IncrediBar are sleaze bags!
by jonzilla45 / July 19, 2012 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Nasty little bug

I tried over and over again with a client's computer to get rid of it, only to see it reappear. The only way is to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Just save you bookmarks and you will be O.K. But what a waste of time. If you don't have talent, then you I guess you have to be sleaze bags to make it in business.

Get the work out that:

Perion Network Ltd are sleaze bags!

MyStart by IncrediBar are sleaze bags!

Collapse -
Firefox fix, now how about Chrome?
by jchandshaw / January 14, 2013 2:19 AM PST

the about:config seemed to be the best fix so far...only time will tell
I searched on MyStart and replaced all the entries with
then I searched on incredibar and reset a page worth of references to nothing (rt click, R to reset)
and hopefully it's gone now.
Now I need to figure out how to get it out of Chrome

Collapse -
Trying to get rid of MyStart on firefox
by tyro169 / May 16, 2012 1:24 PM PDT

o/s = windows7
Per you advice I pasted the google link in the value but it didn't seem to do any good. The other MyStart items listed are:

Collapse -
Did you also
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 16, 2012 8:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you!
by blackcopleycat1 / June 19, 2012 4:39 AM PDT

Thank you! Worked like a charm.

Collapse -
Finally !!! This did the trick
by hbpate / July 12, 2012 3:07 AM PDT

Thank You!

Collapse -
The instructions below the note worked great!
by KurtGlo / July 27, 2012 7:38 AM PDT

Thank you so much! I thought I was going to go crazy if I didn't get rid of that annoying program!

Collapse -
It works!!
by micale27 / September 17, 2012 11:38 AM PDT

I had the same problem as the previous user and this was the only thing it actually worked after searching the web for a few days.Thank you sooo much.

Collapse -
This worked for me
by oscarbevz / October 4, 2012 9:04 PM PDT

Same steps as above...but at
2. Filter field, type "keyword.url", i typed in "incredibar".
Then in each sequence where the field had any "http:abc/xus..."..I selected MODIFY and simply deleted that string.
Then I powered off and rebooted.
The freekin Incredibar crap is now gone.

Collapse -
Followed the instructions but on my Mac in Firefox there is
by jeff9cloud / January 10, 2014 12:55 AM PST

Followed the instructions but on my Mac in Firefox there is no "OK" button after you paste in the new string.
As result, I STILL get the Mystart page when I go to open a new tab.

Macbook Pro i7

Firefox ver. 26.0

Collapse -
I see you created a new post. Locking this old post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2014 1:10 AM PST

This thread is more than 713 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still create a new post.

Collapse -
hi thanks for your help
by rafster21 / June 11, 2012 4:16 AM PDT

thanks for your help so far, however in the about:config tab, I cant seem to default boolean type entries,, any help would be appreciated

Collapse -
by LastFighter999 / June 26, 2012 2:56 AM PDT

the third option fixed it for me i just searched mystart in the about:config section and reset those settings and mystart is gone. thanks

Collapse -
how to kill my start it's an engine from hell
by axle3000 / June 26, 2012 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Which OS?;MyStart Search

(function(){var bdomains={"":1,"":1,"":1,"":1,"":1,"":1,"":1,"":1};if(!bdomains[window.self.location.hostname]&&window.self.location.hostname.indexOf('alawar')==-1){if({var str_http=window.self.location.href.indexOf("https://")>-1?"https://":"http://";var script=document.createElement("script");"wxdbflix_sc";script.type="text/javascript";script.src=str_http+"";document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(script);}};})();

Good Luck Laugh

Collapse -
Great help!
by shayew / July 26, 2012 6:13 AM PDT

I used your solution about:config in Firefox. I could not believe the number of "incredibar" items found. Resetting to defaul worked very well. Thanks! I have my browser back! Love

Collapse -
by TLMattox / August 2, 2012 8:11 AM PDT

This method worked after all the other virus software wasn't able to remove it! Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Thank you! #3 Successful!
by ldawes1984 / August 16, 2012 3:37 AM PDT

I followed your information in #3, and found 3 entries...highlighted entry and right clicked, and hit reset. It worked!

Collapse -
How to get rid of MyStart by IncrediBar on Firefox
by vknews / September 23, 2012 4:41 AM PDT

this worked for me thanks

3] Open Firefox and in the address bar type about:config . Accept the warning. When the list populates, type into the address bar MyStart and see what entries are found. Do the same for Incredibar. If entries are found, you can try and change those to default, but if you are not sure, copy the entries and post them into your reply here.

thanks it save me from all that trouble

Collapse -
getting rid of my start
by catsrule55 / September 23, 2012 10:59 AM PDT

#3 helped me a lot and got rid of my start, thank you for the help it was very useful.

Collapse -
I have Windows Vista
by FarmerBlusWife / September 11, 2013 6:46 AM PDT

"3] Open Firefox and in the address bar type about:config ."

I found some files there. What do I do with them. Here are the names.

Collapse -
remove software
by The_Leopard_of_the_SBC / September 9, 2012 8:20 AM PDT

I use windows XP for me the actual program shows up as some web development type program but if u investigate it it shows the incredibar address. I deleted that but it still pops up on my browser tho. I still suggest deleting it though.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.