Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to get rid of My Network Places..

by CesiaS / October 19, 2004 10:12 AM PDT

Win XP Sp2. Control Panel ->display->Customize desktop: desktop icons ( My Network Places, Internet Explorer, My Documents all left unchecked . Desktop screen looks OK (only wanted icons). On the right hand side of the taskbar I have Desktop >>. When clicking on >> Desktop items appear , all wanted icons PLUS My Network Places, Internet Explorere, My Documents. No matter how many times I try to get rid of them (right click delete, "are you sure you want to remove.... from your desktop .." ) , they temporarily move to the bottom of the column. I only noticed this recently, (at one stage I simply noticed that I have a lot of items on the desktop, after cleaning the majority of them I noticed this peculiar problem) . It could have started after SP2, I don?t know.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get rid of My Network Places..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get rid of My Network Places..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to get rid of My Network Places..
by Cetin Denislam / October 19, 2004 10:11 PM PDT

Download TweakUI from the following page.

Install it and subsequntly launch TweakUI. Expand My Computer, Desktop and uncheck "My Network Places". It should unhide it for both places.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
still there
by CesiaS / October 19, 2004 11:40 PM PDT

Thank you Cetin. TweakUi shows those icons unchecked , but they are still showing in the column on the right side of task bar

Collapse -
Re: still there
by Cetin Denislam / October 20, 2004 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: still there

In this case, try the following things (this order)

1. Log Off and Log On the account.

2. Right click the Taskbar, select Toolbars and uncheck the Desktop. Repeat the same and recheck the Desktop.

3. Open regedit. Expand the following path:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons

Note

HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER

You'll see there two sub-branches:

ClassicStartMenu
NewStartPanel

The check (uncheck) My Network Places icon under TweakUI should toggle the

{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D} from 0 to 1.

Where (i.e. ClassicStartMenu or NewStartPanel) ? It depends if you're usingClassic Start Menu or not (you can verify this by right clicking the Start button and select Properties)

Anyway, the idea here is that you must have the full control permission for the {208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D} in order to toggle it.

You are welcome and Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: still not able
by CesiaS / October 21, 2004 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: still there

to change the entries in Desktop>> on the task bar. Thank you for your reply. I followed your instructions. Normally I do not need to log on, when I switch my computer on it is ready for my use - I'm the only one using it. I am able to modify
208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}, but no change. Any change I make is only on the PC screen (My Network Places, InternetExplorer, My Documents ICONS on desktop appear or disappear, but when clicking Desktop>> these entries are always there, they just go to the bottom of the column after I try to delete them.

Collapse -
Re: still not able
by Cetin Denislam / October 22, 2004 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: still not able

OK, I believe you. The registry key change I provided before does remove the My Network Places from Desktop Toolbar. However, windows XP has its own mind and restores it back after a while. That's why I saw it removed a couple of times and thought that it vanished.

Now, the following registry fix should remove that icon for good. Before trying it, create a Restore Point.

Click Start,Run type regedit and press Enter. Expand the following path:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Note

HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Highlight Explorer. Click Edit, New, DWORD. Type the following name NoNetHood

Right click, select Modify and change it from 0 to 1. In other words, you'll have in the right pane NoNetHood (check the spelling) with the type DWORD and its value equal to 1.

Exit regedit, Restart PC..

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Done, now My Documents?
by CesiaS / October 23, 2004 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: still not able

Thank you very much , your last suggestion worked. Now can I also get rid of MyDocuments in Desktop>>. This is less annoying but still unnecessary for me.

Collapse -
You are welcome and ?
by Cetin Denislam / October 24, 2004 4:29 AM PDT

? unfortunately it seems that there is no policy for hiding that icon under Desktop, so live with it. At least you got rid of My Network Places icon.

You are welcome and Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.