Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how to get rid of error message?

by deall / December 6, 2006 6:50 PM PST

I don't know how to get rid of two error messages that has popped so often since yesterday.

Error message:

Window - No Disk
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:.

Error message:

svchost.exe - no disk
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:.

I was trying to insert my XP home CD but it didn't work cuz it stated that that can't because of I have a newer version CD. I then inserted SP2 CD and it just showed the "install...."

So can anyone of you help me to solve thsi problem? Does there really need to be repaired windows xp? If so so that means I need to uninstall SP2 ...? Can find any another way?

Thanks
R.N.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to get rid of error message?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to get rid of error message?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is the reason for...
by Papa Echo / December 6, 2006 8:44 PM PST

...needing to use the XP Home CD ? What problems are you having ? (they could be related to the error messages)

Collapse -
I dont know what problems in my pc?!
by deall / December 6, 2006 9:34 PM PST

I dont know what problems in my pc?! Before yesterday my pc works fine as normal. Yesterday it suddently popped up so often and today too.

U mean I need to use XP Home cd but why I was trying to use XP Home cd and it stated that it can't because there has a newer version cd. (that is right cuz I upgraded SP2 cd from XP Home cd.

Right now I dont know what I am supposed to do with both error messages.

Collapse -
by the way, i am not sure if it is called error message or
by deall / December 6, 2006 9:36 PM PST

whatever?!

Collapse -
error message
by tomron / December 6, 2006 9:50 PM PST
Collapse -
to tomron
by deall / December 6, 2006 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: error message
Collapse -
I forget to add to tell...
by deall / December 6, 2006 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: to tomron

two days ago I was asked to upgrade windows defender. I upgraded it.
Is that caused?

Collapse -
error message
by tomron / December 7, 2006 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: to tomron

This is a different error then your original post.

"There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr1"

Did you run any programs such as anti virus or anti spyware,click HERE for some free programs.

Collapse -
error message
by deall / December 7, 2006 4:35 AM PST

Now I run AVG Anti Virus, AdAware SE, and Windows Defender.

I am not sure if it might be caused by Trial 30 days Norton Antivirus yesterday which I downloaded, installed and uninstalled immediately cuz it didn't work well. Then I use AVG Anti Virus.?!

By the way,yesterday and today AVG, ADAware SE, and Windows Defender did scanned and everything is okay without any spyware or virus.

Collapse -
How did you remove norton
by tomron / December 7, 2006 6:30 AM PST

In add\remove>then THIS

Collapse -
Also....
by tomron / December 7, 2006 6:43 AM PST

I found this LINK which mentions a connection between the error message and norton.

Tom

Collapse -
replied to u
by deall / December 7, 2006 7:16 PM PST
In reply to: Also....

I was trying to unintsall norton in add/remove and it was not successful and some of files couldn't be removed. I then downloaded "norton removal tool" and it uninstalled norton succesfully.
But error messages popped up frequently and when I start up the pc and it popped up .

I read your link and it seemed almost the same problem as my pc. However, I have never use "Spybot S&D 1.4" so how error messages still popped up.

Do you think if there is no way to solve it so that means I would have to format and reinstall XP home again?

Collapse -
Try running....
by tomron / December 7, 2006 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: replied to u

a registry cleaner such as ccleaner or regseeker to remove any remnants of norton.

Collapse -
still pop up the same error message
by deall / December 7, 2006 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Try running....

After I downloaded and installed ccleaner. It had cleaned up alot and then I rebooted the pc. The same error message popped up.

What else can I find a way to get rid of it?

Collapse -
How about system restore...
by tomron / December 8, 2006 1:53 AM PST

Also click start>run>regedit

Look for Symante and norton,see what shows up.

Collapse -
still popped up error message :-(
by deall / December 8, 2006 5:33 AM PST

After I deleted all norton, symantec and emule in registry editor as u suggested, the error message still popps up.
Sad

so what do u suggest me to do?

by the way, I am afraid to use system restore to cause all mess up?!
If I use system restore and it still doesnt work so what would i do?

Collapse -
I still get the same pop- up after system restore
by deall / December 8, 2006 6:28 AM PST

I recently decided to use system restore to change to one month earlier. After it changed and then reboot the pc. I still get the same pop up error message after booting the pc.

Sad

I guess I have no way to get rid of it although I deleted threads of norton and emule in registry editor, and cclear.

Collapse -
i would try system restore...
by tomron / December 8, 2006 5:53 AM PST

Try it before you installed norton and defender.

Collapse -
eMule
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 8, 2006 8:55 AM PST

I'm not sure what you used eMule for, but any kind of P2P, (Peer to Peer), file sharing is full of danger, especially if users do not check the files they download for viruses, spyware and trojans. Possibly you caught something nasty whilst downloading files.

Have a look at this TechGuy discussion here;
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/411749-solved-windows-no-disk.html

They had a solution to a similar problem. Perhaps it will help you.

Mark

Collapse -
eMule vs. SIXPACK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2006 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: eMule
Collapse -
Hijack ?
by deall / December 8, 2006 3:19 PM PST
In reply to: eMule

After I read your link, I already downloaded Hijack and intsalled it. But I dont know where to find any thread on the log file that causes my pc?

Last week I installed Emule for downloading some movies like "Hitcher", Jericho season 1 part one, Lost season 2 part 1-3, and was trying to download Norton via emule.

I am not sure if it has caused or not. My friends told me that they use Emule and nothing happened to their pc.

By the way, I dont understand what p2p (peer to peer) although I googled p2p and don't understand it.

Collapse -
unlock ?
by deall / December 8, 2006 4:03 PM PST
In reply to: Hijack ?

I recently ensured to see if there is still emule file in my pc. I opened "program files" and there is still Emule. I was trying to delete it and it couldn't be deleted and popped up the message

"Error Deleting File or Folder

Cannot delete file: access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Then I googled and found out that it could unlock and delete it by using http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Should I try to do that?
(I pray it will get rid of it)

Collapse -
still pop up error message
by deall / December 8, 2006 5:22 PM PST
In reply to: unlock ?

After I unlocked and deleted Emule file by UNLOCK. The same error message (windows - no disk) popped up after the pc booted.

I guess I have tried to use all different softwares to get rid of it but no successful.

What else can i try to kill that stubborn error message.

Collapse -
This is the root of all your problems
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 8, 2006 8:43 PM PST

and I fear that little further help can be given you in these forums.

Let me explain, and in the process be brutally clear.

P2P means Peer to Peer. This is the term used on the internet for people who share files between other people. Peer to Peer means downloading files from the computers of people who have them, and letting other people download files from your computer. It is file sharing.

The problem is, file sharing is too often used for illegal activities, like downloading music without the artist's permission, and without paying the artist any royalty. It is called Piracy in the trade.

The same goes for downloading films, tv shows, etc without the owners permission and without paying for them. It also applies to downloading full programs, like Nortons.

You have said, clearly, in this post that you have been using eMule to download films, (The Hitcher), Jerico and Lost, and Nortons Security or Anti-virus. This is Piracy.

Please re-read the Forum Policy on illegal activity, link here. You would have read this when you signed up to CNET Forums.

Help is not offered for those involved in illegal activities such as Priracy. It is against Forum Policy to do so.

Therefore I must suspend this discussion here and now. No further help can be given. If you feel I have made a mistake in my post, feel free to email me through my profile.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.