Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

How to get rid of a bot

by Fish / July 8, 2013 9:31 PM PDT

Comcast warns me that I may have a bot on my pc.
How can I detect and remove it?

XP Home

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get rid of a bot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get rid of a bot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
><)))> ... Did you run any scans?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 12:00 AM PDT

Fish..

I can't say I know much about their warning system, short of an article I read by Brian Krebs when Comcast first announced the program. See Comcast Pushes Bot Alert Program Nationwide.

Did you run any scans?

According to one forum, Comcast provides a link for their customers to check where the suspicious activity is coming from. See Am I Botted?

As I stated, I'm not familiar with the program. The Comcast Forum has quite a few threads on the topic. (See these )

If you don't get any further help here, you might want to consider posting there. But.. if you haven't run any scans, I would consider it the first order of business.

It's the best I know to suggest..
Carol

Collapse -
Bot scan
by Fish / July 9, 2013 3:56 AM PDT

Carol. I ran MS emergency responce tool and it did find ( Trojan:DOS/Alureon.A
They only partially removed it and gave suggested steps for removal.
I'll read some of your links here for futher understanding before doing anything else.

Thanks for the info " Cat " Happy

Collapse -
Trojan:DOS/Alureon.A
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Bot scan
Collapse -
You are the " Cats " meow!
by Fish / July 9, 2013 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Trojan:DOS/Alureon.A

Carol, TDSSKILLER tool took care of my posted problem and a few others not posted that were mentioned
in your post for Comcast forums. A big high five to you lady! Fish

Collapse -
Uh, Oh!
by Fish / July 10, 2013 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Trojan:DOS/Alureon.A

Spoke too soon!
My two dvd drives are missing. I updated and ran my antivirus and TDSSKiller as suggested from googled site to no avail. They don't show and don't work.

Collapse -
Look in device manager. Any "Code 19" or such?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Uh, Oh!

If so, try the usual. But I don't see which OS (I missed it?) so I'll wait for a little more detail.
Bob

Collapse -
No code 19
by Fish / July 10, 2013 6:45 AM PDT

Using xp Home Service Pk 3
No code 19 or any other messages. I'v run fully updated antivirus scans as previously mentioned that found and quarrenteened virus's.Did restart and reran anti virus.

Collapse -
Then try the usual but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: No code 19

The drive may be dead. It's odd to see it in the device manager and not show in My Computer unless there's an error code.

Try the usual and in safe mode, remove them in device manager, reboot and see if they come back.

XP's upper and lower filter issue (Hey, MSFT, still no fix over a decade later? and why is this still a problem at all?) is noted at link to follow.
Bob

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Collapse -
Not clear
by Fish / July 10, 2013 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Then try the usual but

Bob, I guess I'm not clear to you.
Neither of my dvd drives show or are recognized anywhere on my computer.
They have vanished! Not in my computer, not in device manager and are not listed in Belarc Advisor report.

Collapse -
Let's go with that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Not clear

Let's say what you write is true. The drives don't show in BIOS, device manager, Windows or anywhere.

Then I'd open the case after power down to check if the cables are snug at both ends and the drive eject buttons work after a power up.

There are older machines I can cause the drives to vanish with a default BIOS setting but I'm sure you don't have an Acom 6448 Black Beauty.
Bob

Collapse -
Bios
by Fish / July 11, 2013 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's go with that.

I did'nt mention Bios.

This is what I see in Bios.
Diskette Drive
Drive 0 sata-0
Drive 1 sata-1
Drive 2 sata-2
Drive 3 sata-3
Drive 4 pata-0
Drive 5-pata-1

I have no idea what anything in there means. Amature here. Happy

Collapse -
Yes, you did. Here's where.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Bios

"Neither of my dvd drives show or are recognized anywhere on my computer."

You used the word anywhere so that includes the BIOS as well.

Not everyone is going to be an expert in all things PC so when you reach the end you reach out for help, get your PC guru over or take it in for repair.
Bob

Collapse -
eject
by Fish / July 11, 2013 6:13 AM PDT

eject buttons and green light has worked all along.
I will open the case and check the cables and post back soon.

Collapse -
loose ribbon
by Fish / July 11, 2013 7:29 AM PDT

I did find one ribbon half unseated. Snugged it up and checked every other connection I could .
Alas, still not detected. I thought sure that loose ribbon was going to be the answer.

Collapse -
Just wondering
by Fish / July 10, 2013 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Not clear

I use sonic solutions drive recognition version 1.0.0.1 which is not compatable with ie8.
Can this cause my situation?

Collapse -
Only if
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering

It unplugs the drives. Said apps so far will not disable the drives in the bios or keep them from showing in the BIOS.

Collapse -
Answer
OK how old is everything?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 8:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Age of drives
by Fish / July 12, 2013 5:04 AM PDT

About 8yrs old.

Since my first posting , I today ran Microsoft saftey tool again and it found Trojan:win32/Alureon.fw and partially removed it.Now it needs to be manually finnished. Any helpful ideas here?

Collapse -
re
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Age of drives

I'm not there so I can't do the work I normally do. As in the usual noted by Carol and Grif as well as tests I do on the machine and drives.

For example one of my ACID TESTS is to pull out a bootable CD (doesn't matter which) and if the machine can't boot from any CD that's my clue the drive is gone. Yes we can try lens cleaners but the FACT THE DRIVE IS NOT SHOWING IN THE BIOS is >damming<.

If you can't boot from the CD, any CD then we fix that as during boot, there is no trojan known that runs at that time.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.