Windows 7 forum

General discussion

How to get past a Windows 7 password

by dan_spencer40 / August 3, 2010 9:36 PM PDT

Recently my brother has got on my laptop and having found out my password changed it. He has forgotten the password and now I can't get past the logon screen. I would be very grateful if you could tell me weather there is there anyway I can find out the password or change it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get past a Windows 7 password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get past a Windows 7 password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For free?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

I'd use a NTPASSWD boot CD. Be sure to read how to create said CD. Many stumble on the CD creation step. I'm unsure why but it is free and pretty easy to use. Boot, select 1 item, press return a few times.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried This???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 4, 2010 4:25 AM PDT

I'm not sure what you've done regarding enabling the hidden "administrator" account status, but IF, and only IF, you've previously enabled the hidden administrator in "Local Security Policies", then you should be able select the "Switch User" button, then log in at the standard Welcome scree by using the username as: localcomputername\administrator, then type in the password for the administrator in the "password" line.. If you've not given it a password, then leave it blank..

Of course, many have not enabled the hidden administrator......

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
get past a Windows 7 password
by andylausmith / August 4, 2010 6:37 PM PDT

The top easy and safe methods for you reset your lost Windows 7 password. All you need to do is selecting an appropriate method recover your Windows 7 Password now:

Method one: Logging in Windows 7 with an available admin account to recover Win 7 password

Methods two: Creating a password recovery disk to recover the Win 7 password, by this methods, you need create a Windows password reset disk before you have lost or forgotten your Windows admin password.

Method three: Using Windows Password Recovery software to recover Windows 7 password
Under such circumstances, you may need the help of other software. There are some free softwares can settle the problem such as Ophcrack, Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Cain & Abel v4.9.31. However, when you operate these softwares, the disadvantages are obvious. You may lose your patience if you experience them.
If you want to reset your password easily and timely , some softwares with high capability price can help you. For example, Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0, Windows Password Key, Password Recovery Bundle, etc...

Related guide: http://www.forgotwindows7password.com

Collapse -
About that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 12:07 AM PDT

"Method one: Logging in Windows 7 with an available admin account to recover Win 7 password"

I've used this to clear or change the password of the other account. Can you detail how you can recover a password? To me this sounds like a Windows security bug.
Bob

Collapse -
It works while you have another admin account
by andylausmith / August 11, 2010 7:41 PM PDT
In reply to: About that.

So, If you have another windows 7 admin account and you know its password, then you can login it. After logon windows 7, you can reset the password of account which you lost password.

Collapse -
But you claimed you could "recover" this pasword.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 2:00 AM PDT

"Method one: Logging in Windows 7 with an available admin account to recover Win 7 password"

Resetting the password is a well known area. I thought you had discovered how to recover the password.

Glad you cleared that up.
Bob

Collapse -
How to get past a Windows 7 password
by estefan202 / August 13, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

in xp its simple, and vista /7 its similar vista /7 changes the names little. First reboot into safe mode. next use the administrator account, no one ever creates a password to this account, which would stop one from doing this. in xp go to start control panel then user accounts. vista /7 changes the names slightly but you should be able to get there. then just create a new account.

now, if he would have created a bios password, which would stop you from using the computer at boot. just remove the rtc battery for 5 minuets.

Collapse -
Won't Work In A Default Setup
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 6:54 AM PDT

The hidden "administrator" account is disabled by default in Windows 7.. In order for it to show up, or for a user to be able to login to the account, it must be "enabled" in the Local Security Policy settings using an administrator login and BEFORE problems arise.

Once the hidden "administrator" account is enabled, then YEP, you're method should work fine.. UNLESS...a password was given to the account..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.