TVs & Home Theaters forum

how to get my tv sound through my denon receiver 1312

by vincy25 / January 29, 2013 6:19 PM PST

i have a denon receiver model1312 which i connected to the tv via the hdmi cable and also tried the optical cable and i am not getting any sound through the receiver a. when i want to play music a movie from my hard drive. i am only getting the sound from the tv when i connect the receiver through the sky box.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to get my tv sound through my denon receiver 1312
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to get my tv sound through my denon receiver 1312
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Please list all equipment involved- makes/models and...
by Pepe7 / January 30, 2013 12:56 AM PST it's all currently connected. Then we can tweak as needed.

Collapse -
Connecting the denon 1312 to the TV
by vincy25 / January 30, 2013 3:02 AM PST

at the moment i have the denon connected to the sky box. but i have try to connect the denon directly to the Tv but it is not working . I dont know if i had the settings incorrectly set up on both the Tv and the receiver.

Collapse -
More info please
by Pepe7 / January 30, 2013 3:38 AM PST

I can help you out, but you also have to step up and take the time to write down all the info and post it here. That way we know all your options. Makes/models. and how precisely everything is connected. Something like the following makes it really easy for me to troubleshoot-

Skybox (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Denon

Denon (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) HDTV

etc., for all components in your system.

Collapse -
connecting my Denon receiver to the TV
by vincy25 / January 30, 2013 7:12 AM PST

At the monent I have the following set up:
TV lg smart tv model-47lm640 to lg 300w sound bar model-nb3520a using optical audio out on the Tv to optical in on the soundbar.That is working perfectly.
I bought a Denon receiver model 1312 and connect the skybox to the Receiver via Audio on the skybox to the in on the receiver and in that way i am getting the sound from the box through the receiver to play my Bose 301 series III speakers.
However,I want to pass the Tv and my sound bar through my receiver because at the moment if I am playing music on the TV or watching a movie through my hard drive or any other device,I am not getting the sound through the receiver to play my bose speakers that is connected to the receiver. How do I connect the tv throught the receiver to get tha sound.I have tried the hdmi cable and the optical cable from the Tv to the receiver and this is not working. Maybe i am setting on the Tv and the receveir on the correct settings.

All Answers

Collapse -
Are you passing audio through the TV?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 12:53 AM PST

I will skip duplicating prior discussions about HDCP and what that means to passthrough of HD content but to get this to work we connect like so.

Source -> HT (Denon or such) -> HDTV

That way the HT can process the audio and pass the HD video to the TV. Due to HDCP you are never sure to get HD Audio out of a HDTV. Many folk have lost years over that issue.

Collapse -
Took a closer look at the Denon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 3:13 AM PST

It has 4 HDMI inputs so to play from the HDD I'd play such on my laptop then to HDMI in on the Denon and then out to the HDTV.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.