LG forum

Question

How to get HDMI ARC to work with LG HDTV + LG Blu-Ray player

by aszegedi / November 16, 2011 12:32 AM PST

Hi folks,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get HDMI ARC to work with LG HDTV + LG Blu-Ray player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get HDMI ARC to work with LG HDTV + LG Blu-Ray player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What I did about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 1:48 AM PST

I added the optical cable and I'm done. I see some folk demanding that ARC work. They are still making that demand!
Bob

Collapse -
I can do that...
by aszegedi / November 16, 2011 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: What I did about this.

I can certainly do that... and that's my backup plan. I have another piece of equipment that I want to hook up, which has both an optical and analog output - I was hoping to reserve the optical input on the player for it; that's why I'd prefer to have ARC work.

Collapse -
(NT) Not only that, I wrote it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: I can do that...
Collapse -
Answer
Turn on ARC settings and enable SIMPLINK in LG LED TV
by mubashir43 / April 4, 2013 8:57 AM PDT

I had similar issue, non of LG support guys could help except the senior tech. I resolved it myself.
Please turn on ARC on your TV and then turn on SIMPLINK on your TV, it will allow ARC to work through HDMI and bring sound from your LG home theater system. TV and home theater takes 2 - 3 minutes to setup and realise that ARC is on through SIMPLINK. please be patience while they both detect each other. your LED display on home theater system will say ARC and not home or anything else. that means it on now.

Collapse -
wow
by saoirsefionna / February 1, 2014 2:12 PM PST

All I can say is wow it worked!

Collapse -
Thanks, works like a charm :)
by stefanitkung / February 7, 2014 10:29 PM PST

big help, have looking for an answer on this : D

Collapse -
Lg blu ray
by Bhalliday7 / July 24, 2014 7:06 PM PDT

Hi, I've tried you step by step to what you are saying and my blu ray keeps saying optical and not arc, do you have any advice on how to get sound working ?

Cheere

Collapse -
Worked TV sound but...
by unknown52 / February 5, 2015 5:07 AM PST

When I switch to Netflix the sound is not coming thru receiver. using Harmon Kardon with ARC.

Collapse -
17 million hits on this thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2015 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Worked TV sound but...

Apps may not honor TV settings. Look around in the app to see what audio settings there are there.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: How to get HDMI ARC to work with LG HDTV + LG Blu-Ray pl
by LG_Electronics LG staff / February 13, 2015 4:51 AM PST

Hi Asczegedi,
Good thing is that both units support the HDMI ARC function, but the 47LV5400 only supports ARC through HDMI 1 and you would have to connect it to the HDMI OUT of the LHB976 for the ARC to work.
One other thing you may want to consider that comes to mind after reading over your description of you using Netflix and Amazon VOD apps, try using the High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet!
Let me know how things work out, good luck! You can also contact LG's Customer Interactive Center at (800) 243-0000 for assistance should you need it...IFV

Collapse -
lg 47la8609

This seems to be a European model.
There is no way I can find to turn ARC on even though the label giving the HDMIs etc is labelled HDMI1(ARC)
Is this label common to all better lg models? I think that the label is erroneous for this model.
Whilst 3 sites that sold this model say that it has ARC compatibility, one says no ARC compatibility.
Your advice pse.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.