How To forum

How to get free products for testing?

by samasabagh / April 2, 2012 7:58 AM PDT

I would like to start a youtube channel and start reviewing products
I know there are companies that lend products for testing like phones and other products
can someone tell me how can that be done

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get free products for testing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get free products for testing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
You don't get them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 4:39 AM PDT

These are loaned in. The quick answer is you won't be getting any free products.

Collapse -
by samasabagh / April 5, 2012 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: You don't get them.

My brother used to have his own company about 8 years ago and he used to have a deal with a company located in the USA and he used to get the latest Nokia phones because he used to do software testing for the application his company created
so I guess its possible but you must build a good reputation to yourself

Collapse -
I get free loaners but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

My apps are tested on them and them I have to return the units. I return them early with tracking on the shipments because I want them to keep supplying me test units when I need them.

See Lee Koo's excellent reply on how to get started.

Collapse -
Just my thoughts...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 3, 2012 8:19 AM PDT

I think you first have to establish yourself on YouTube. Create your channel and start reviewing the products that you buy and own. Grow your subscriber base and number of views on your videos.

If and that is a big "IF", you become popular and get a hundred thousands of views, and established a substantial subscriber base--people/manufactures will start to take notice and they will reach out to you. Seeking them out is not going to happen, because there are just too many folks willing to do this and how would these people know how you do as a reviewer. It's like applying for a job and you have no work experience, it just doesn't fly.

You really have to prove to the world of YouTube viewers that you are worthy of watching your videos.

It's a tough business, but you gotta start somewhere and that start with you creating your channel and getting noticed.

Good luck with this.

BTW all the products you see on CNET that are reviewed by our editors, all those products are loaned to them and they do not get to keep any of the products they review and I mean not one single item, period. There are no freebies.

Collapse -
by samasabagh / April 5, 2012 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Just my thoughts...

I know its hard nothing comes easy but what is more difficult is that I have no products to review
I only have a blackberry bold which is way too old and most people are mostly looking at touch screen devices

Collapse -
The question you need to ask yourself is...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 6, 2012 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

what would compel manufactures to loan you products to review--what makes you so special? They don't know who you are--why would they trust you to make an objective review? Are you a professional reviewer or someone who is well established in this field?

You need to establish yourself first whether it is on YouTube or anywhere on the Internet to become a tech influencer to gain any credibility to who will watch your reviews and trust what you have to say. And if the Blackberry Bold is the only device you have and it is outdated, then how would you know what to look for in new devices to compare to and make a objective review of products if it were loaned to you.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but you need to gain experience in this field and have sufficient knowledge around the technologies you will be reviewing, before anyone will give you the light of day to trust their products with you and allow for you to make an objective review. Right now as it stands, you don't have a resume to show for as to what you are capable of or how you fair in front of camera. And if you want to be a product reviewer, you really have to standout from the rest, as their are plenty of product reviewers already on YouTube.

I hope you understand where I'm going with this.

Good luck to you, I wish the best to your success.

Collapse -
by samasabagh / April 12, 2012 9:45 AM PDT

I have seen lots of videos on youtube with normal people that for example just bought iphone 4s and they are just giving you their ideas about the phone or what features it has etc...
I just think you do not need to be an expert on something to start doing it
I think as long as you know a lot about technology or you read a lot about it and you always like to be up to date and you use your phone a lot then I think you can start reviewing it

What about if I start a group on facebook giving out information or news about new products companies etc... would you think this can be a good start

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.