Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Desktops

Question

How to Get Data off Hard Drive and Onto Storage Device

by comp2cnet / November 28, 2012 6:24 AM PST

I have (had) a Dell Optiplex GX270 (80 GB hard drive)which ceased to function. I took it opened it and the capacitors on the motherboard were bulging and had crud on them. Another motherboard is en-route, but I was was told that when replacing the motherboard I really need to reinstall all the programs, which can wipe out all the data on the hard drive. And dummy that I am, I never backed up.

So what is the best, economical and easiest to use way for this unsophisticate to get all the data from the hard drive on to some type of storage device? And how would I do it, with detailed instructions, please? I would then transfer the data to the repaired computer, or if I can't fix it, transfer the data to a new one.

Thank you!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Get Data off Hard Drive and Onto Storage Device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Get Data off Hard Drive and Onto Storage Device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've yet to find detailed steps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 6:27 AM PST

Guides maybe. But since we can use cables like this (link -> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020 ) that allow us to connect to almost any drive even leaving it inside a desktop, then copying files from that to another drive, I can't guess what steps are needed.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: get data off hrd drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 6:31 AM PST

The three common options are:
1. mount it as internal hard disk in another PC
2. put in an external enclosure (connects via USB)
3. connect it via a USB to SATA/IDE converter cable as an external disk

Assuming it's a 3.5" ATA drive, #1 is easy, but you have to open the case and there might be master/slave settings to handle.
For #2 and #3": such a disk needs external power (and is ATA), not all enclosures and converter cables you'll find will be suitable, but a good computer shop will be able to sell you what you need.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
What mtrbd.?
by Willy / November 28, 2012 8:20 AM PST

What mtrbd. is being used to replace the old one. I ask that because if you're getting another GX270 mtrbd. then you don't need anything special other than swap them out. If this is entirely a different brand of mtrbd. then what has already been posted will do. Do please provide the details of what you plan to do or getting.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Motherboard type
by comp2cnet / November 28, 2012 4:50 PM PST
In reply to: What mtrbd.?

I ordered a refurbished Dell GX270 motherboard from eBay, I called the shop, they asked for the first set of numbers on a tag on the motherboard and they sent one that matched. I haven't
received it yet due to the Thanksgiving delay in UPS service. It should arrive Thurs or Fri.

Are you confident that this motherboard will make things work without deleting anything on the HDD?

Collapse -
Re: motherboard
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 4:57 PM PST
In reply to: Motherboard type

Motherboards don't delete anything on the hard drive.
And it if it's the right type of motherboard, and it's not defective, and you install it correctly, it should work.

Kees

Collapse -
Motherboard
by comp2cnet / November 29, 2012 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Re: motherboard

Kees-B

I guess I wasn't speaking specifically due to my lack of knowledge.

I meant if the motherboard din't work straight out on installation, and I had to re-install the programs, then I was concerned that then I might lose the data on my HDD.

That is why I wanted to back up the HDD first before trying to install the new motherboard.

Are you saying that with the first set of numbers on a Dell Optiplex GX 270 motherboard, that is the correct motherboard and it should work, given correct installation?

When I receive the replacement motherboard, I'll post a new thread about how to install it and is it the right one, compared to the old one, and maybe you all can help me out?

Thanks!!

Collapse -
Re: motherboard
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 29, 2012 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Motherboard

With an incompatible motherboard, you'll have to reinstall the OS from a OEM or retail Windows install disk. Usually that can be done without formatting, but to play it safe, having a backup is a good idea (it's ALWAYS a good idea!).

But I'd install that mobo first and see what happens. It won't harm your data even if Windows decided to not run.

Kees

Collapse -
Good to go
by Willy / November 30, 2012 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Motherboard type

A Dell GX270 for another GX270 of same model# will do fine provided there isn't any other problem. What i do is re-install from the old mtbd. taking the cpu., etc. and properly remount it on the replacement mtrbd.. Once all the connections and everything correctly remounted, connected or hook-up, etc. and rechecked before powering-ON usually all that needs to be done. Don't rush or disregard anything, be sure it's all as it should be, then power-ON. Use common sense and reset the bios values if need be. I hope you're aware of all these steps in order to finish the fix. It may display some error more than once until you reset the bios, etc., again you should know what is expected. As for any HD issue, it supposed that the HD has no real fault, it was all mtrbd. related. It should then act as if nothing has been done, provided you did a proper replacement. Yeah, i do this often.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.