Computer Newbies

General discussion

How to get back to IE7 from IE8

by jmatzick / January 29, 2009 12:36 AM PST

A couple of days ago, I downloaded IE8. Finding myself unable to access some sites with IE8, I tried to redownload IE7 only to be told that a newer version of IE is already installed and the IE7 installation would not continue. IE 8 has removed IE7 so system restore is no help. Any ideas?
Thanks.
John
Win XP

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get back to IE7 from IE8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get back to IE7 from IE8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since It's Beta, Such Things Are Expected...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 3:32 AM PST

...and installing a beta program certainly isn't for "Newbies". The general uninstall instructions for IE8 are to use the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section to uninstall. Have you tried that?

Have you tried the beta forums for IE8? I'm sure they will appreciate your input and may have a solution to your issue.

Internet Explorer 8 Help & Support Site

Internet Explorer Beta Newsgroup

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
IE8 no longer Beta!
by cimofj2 / January 30, 2009 10:22 AM PST

In case you haven't seen it, IE8 is no longer in Beta. I've downloaded the Released Version a few days ago (Vista x64), and the only problem seems to be OLDER websites (Problems editing REPLIES).

Collapse -
Well Sort Of.., It's At Release Candidate 1 Which is...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: IE8 no longer Beta!

...not at the full release yet.. It's one step beyond the beta which means it's still in the "candidate" testing phase.. Basically, it isn't fully ready for prime time yet.. I still believe using such early released versions of Internet Explorer are not for the Newbie computer user.

See the download site below:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta/worldwide-sites.aspx

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
IE8 Rollback
by Zouch / January 30, 2009 11:35 AM PST

The technique is to uninstall IE8 with Add/Remove Programs and it should leave you with IE7 (or 6 or wherever you came from). BUT if you had beta 1 or beta 2 installed on XP SP3 and you installed IE8 RC1 over the top of it, it won't come off. There is a warning on the Microsoft download site about it.

Did you try putting IE8 in compatibility mode? that is supposed to handle the non standard compliant websites in the same way as IE7 did.

Collapse -
XP Service Pack 3 may cause browser problems!!
by sheba94601 / January 30, 2009 2:16 PM PST

Well don't feel like the Lone Ranger w/ out Tonto... a whole ship load of us in trouble. I've been on my pc for 5 days/nights straight w/ several techs at different forums behind me, even in Microsoft's Forum. I jus knew I had trojans. Just found this half an hr ago (below)! I couldn't figure out for the life of me why IE 6 didn't kick in & wHy IE 8 never worked. My IE 7 just hangs now & says it can't locate the iexplorer.exe file & it's in my face big as day. I'm scared to uninstall SP 3 b/c several ppl in our situation ended up w/ blue screens..but any way heres 2 links 4 u.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...r-problems.htm

>>Microsoft has warned Windows XP users they will not be able to change to different versions of the Internet Explorer browser once they install XP's third service pack.

The firm says users trying out Internet Explorer 7 will not be able to revert back to Internet Explorer 6 after installing XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).

The same applies to those users trailing the beta version of Internet Explorer 8 after they install the service pack, with those users also unable to downgrade to older versions of the browser in the future.

This means IE8 beta users could be locked into a beta version of the browser and having to cope with bugs and an incomplete version of the software.

Users currently running IE7 on XP SP2 will see Windows Update offer them XP SP3 as a high-priority update.
ADVERTISEMENT

Once installed, IE7 will remain on their system. Microsoft said the reason for this was to deliver a stable file state and to ensure the latest updates to the browser remained active in the operating system.

In the case of IE8 users, Microsoft is not offering SP3 via Windows Update to help avoid any problems. It has warned IE8 users to uninstall the beta before choosing to install SP3.

>>UNinstalling issues w/ IE 7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

Collapse -
xp service pack 3
by thebanditblog / February 2, 2009 4:56 AM PST

If what you say is true, and since you say it's coming from microsoft I believe you there are three possible solutions. One, start using mozilla firefox, a very good browser and one that I use all the time. Two, just wait for the prime release of IE8. Three, and I don't recommend this because of the time involved and the possibility of bad sectors is to back up your hard drive, format your drive and then do a clean install. However, still try to remove IE8 in your add/remove programs first. If that works it will save you a lot of aggravation.

Collapse -
FREE TECH HELP FROM MICROSOFT FOR IE 7 AND 8 !!! whoo hoooo
by sheba94601 / February 2, 2009 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: xp service pack 3

Windows Internet Explorer 7 and 8 Windows XP, VISTA (All Languages)

--Unlimited installation support is available by phone at no charge until March 31, 2009 866-234-6020

This is the route I resorted to after 60 cups of coffee, 6 day/nights no sleep & 3 decent meals. They answered the phone promptly & the tech was on it w/ in 10 min. He got on my pc (remote) & took over. They had to replace window files that were missing (alot) being I had no cd & after the 3rd reboot 'all' my iexplorer.exe files started working. He thought I had a hiddedn malware b/c it didnt kick in at first but I read on a website that it takes a pc a few boot to adjust to changes w/ in the computer (Share the miracle *smile*)!

Collapse -
Try this.
by DKT27 / January 31, 2009 3:32 AM PST

When there are problems on seeing and using website in ie8 beta 2. Try Compatibility View button on the website that you are have problems.
Compatibility View button is next to refresh button and it may not appear every time.

Collapse -
Getting locked into IE8 which keeps hanging
by landplanning / July 29, 2009 10:21 PM PDT

I had this problem when IE8 was offered unsolicited as an official MS Update a few days ago, and I accepted the Update.
IE8 then kept hanging literally every 5 minutes or less and was driving me mad and costing me time and serious money.
So I tried to download IE7 again ... but no, it wouldn't let me ! (The sheer nerve of that !)

I overcame this problem after a great deal of frustration and losing the best part of a day's work ....and this was my very effective solution :-
I simply downloaded OPERA. Works great, is much faster than IE, and doesn't hang at all.

Collapse -
Uninstall IE8
by markbenson1 / August 6, 2009 9:07 PM PDT

Uninstall the IE8 form your system. Go to Control Panel click Add or Remove Programs, search for IE8 and click Remove. After uninstalling the IE8 program download IE7 and install it.

Collapse -
IE8 back to IE7 ?
by landplanning / August 6, 2009 9:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall IE8

Many thanks. I was obviously looking to make it more complicated than it really is !

IE8 and its constant hanging has been really getting on my nerves !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.