Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How to get back File, Edit, View, etc on toolbar?

by grandpaw7 / April 7, 2005 3:16 AM PDT

I did something so that the line in the toolbar that usually has buttons for File, Edit, View, Go, Tool, Help no longer appears. How can I get that line back? Thanks, grandpaw

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get back File, Edit, View, etc on toolbar?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get back File, Edit, View, etc on toolbar?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
right click the toolbar
by TONI H / April 7, 2005 3:24 AM PDT

and put the check mark back in "standard" should appear immediately again.

Collapse -
The tool bar, file,edit, view,etc. are gone.
by dk1933 / April 29, 2012 2:03 AM PDT

My tool bar disappeared.
System: AMD atalon ll X 2 215 Dul- Core / Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit / Model CQ5210F

Collapse -
Tried Pressing the F11 Key Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 29, 2012 4:40 AM PDT

Occasionally, the screen will go to "Full Screen" and the standard toolbar at the top of the window will disappear.. Pressing the F11 key should allow you to toggle your browser from "full" to "normal".

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
the file bar
by debbie66cool / August 15, 2012 1:49 PM PDT

thank u thank u thank u i couldn't get the bar back on and and followed the advise for f11. and it came back on. again thank u thank u thank u

Collapse -
by unique99 / August 20, 2013 10:07 PM PDT

thank you very much

Collapse -
How to get back File, Edit, View, etc on toolbar?
by mcamello / December 27, 2014 2:01 AM PST

In my case, clicking the toolbar is impossible. There is no tool bar to be clicked in the first place. Any better answer, please?

Collapse -
Across apps, I find Alt+F to show this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2014 2:07 AM PST

But as no one is revealing which app, I doubt there's a better answer.

Collapse -
(NT) And Pressing the F11 Key Doesn't Get A Toolbar?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 29, 2014 2:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Or ...
by Kees Bakker / April 7, 2005 4:13 AM PDT

try F11 to switch from full screen mode to normal mode and back again. In full screen mode there's a very small toolbar on top, with only buttons, and without the normal menu bar (File, Edit, View). But even in full screen mode you can get that back (also somewhat out of its normal place) by a right click and check "Menu Bar".

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Post 1 of 15 How to get back File, Edit, View, etc on toolba
by ramu1949 / January 17, 2011 4:00 PM PST
In reply to: Or ...

Dear Mr.Kees,

Your note to use F11 key is very helpful to me.

Collapse -
Thanks to Toni and Kees
by grandpaw7 / April 8, 2005 12:29 AM PDT

While the File etc buttons did reappear when I rebooted, I have saved your info for future use so that I don't have to reboot next time I lose those buttons. grandpaw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome.
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2005 3:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
I want my File,View, Tools, Favorites to show on Tool Bar.
by kindnessisme7 / June 11, 2010 12:55 PM PDT

I've been trying for two hours to find my Tool Bar line that shows Files, View, Edit, Favorites and Tools on it.

Collapse -
Re: I want my File,View, Tools, Favorites to show on Tool Ba
by Tufenuf / June 11, 2010 9:38 PM PDT

kindnessisme7, Need more info. Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? Right click whichever bar(s) you have on top and checkmark "Menu Bar".

You also may want to check out the links below.

The menu bar and the toolbar are missing in Internet Explorer on Windows Vista or Windows XP or in Windows Explorer on Windows XP

Show/hide the menu bar Internet Explorer

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Collapse -
file/edit/view toolbar is missing
by Banagher / August 7, 2010 7:13 AM PDT

I would like to find out how to restore the file/edit/view/etc./ toolbar.

Collapse -
Re: toolbar
by Kees Bakker / August 7, 2010 7:30 AM PDT

Restoring the file/edit/view toolbar (menubar) in what version of what program?
And "restoring" seems to imply it was there, but disappeared. Do you know when and why?

Collapse -
Tried This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 11:13 AM PDT

It it's internet explorer you're referring to, RIGHT click on a blank area in the toolbar at the top of the window, choose "Menu Bar".

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Need to get back File, Edit, etc. on toolbar
by billduke1 / September 10, 2010 8:42 AM PDT

Subject tells it all. I have firefox and lost part (or all) of toolbar above.

Collapse -
Re: Need to get back File, Edit, etc. on toolbar
by Tufenuf / September 10, 2010 10:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
This is easy
by warrencharlot / September 10, 2010 3:43 PM PDT

Roll your mouse over the top of the address bar. When your pointer turned into a horizontal double arrow just like this <->, right click your mouse.

An option will come out and you will see that Menu Bar is unchecked. Check it and the File, Edit, etc.. will reappear.

Collapse -
got ie9 with google homepage
by brybhoy1888 / October 16, 2010 3:19 PM PDT

but tried every thing to get my file , view toolbar back , also its a windows 7 os do you have any help. also i turned off my password and my laptop just logs on without any passwords, but now the bubble has popped up asking me to change my password within 5 days as its 17th of 10th 2010 im so presed for time please help me ?????

Collapse -
Re: problems
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 16, 2010 9:04 PM PDT

1. I don't think Microsoft ships IE9 with a google homepage. That must be something that you did yourself or that got transferred from IE8.
2. If you don't know how the IE9-beta works, either try to find out (via google maybe) or don't use it and go back to IE8. It's only a beta, you know. I googled IE9 MENUBAR for you, and the first hit was
Does that help?
3. How did you turn off the password?
4. What happens if you change it to something and then immediately change it back to nothing?

Collapse -
recover "file,favorites,view, etc
by jsutton9 / March 26, 2012 9:55 PM PDT

simply move your curser to an area near the tool bar and right click, then click on "menu"

viola! so simple. am supprized some of the other guru's didn't reccommend this!

Collapse -
We Did... A Few Years Ago..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 27, 2012 9:34 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.