Phones

General discussion

How to get an upgraded cell phone free from Verizon Wireless

by gegen4 / February 13, 2009 3:59 AM PST

I recently called Verizon because I was eligible for a new every 2 upgrade in April, and I heard that you can supposedly get them to give you the phone 2 months earlier. Well, I called, and they said that I wasn't eligible until 2010 because I had gotten a new phone (as a replacement to a phone that didn't work under warranty. i am on my 8th phone since October of 2007! It's ridiculous!

New (2 yr upgrade)
refurb
refurb
refurb
New (3 to new policy)
refurb
refurb
refurb (current phone)

Now, I'm already eligible for a new upgraded phone at the 2 year price, But I'm wondering if I can get the phone free. This is a ridciulous amount of trouble! And basically with taxes on all of these new phones, I've been getting screwed $8/each phone. So, do you have any success stories with Verizon to give me a free phone? And, it's not even an expensive phone, it's only $130!

Thanks in advance! I do choose best answers!
-Tyler

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to get an upgraded cell phone free from Verizon Wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to get an upgraded cell phone free from Verizon Wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I went though 11 phones in 14 months...
by Aeschylus_Nyx / February 13, 2009 6:36 PM PST

And every single one was a warranty exchange for a software issue or some other thing. I wasn't told about 'triple flu' until a telephone rep told me about it.. Oi... I started out with the Krazr, had 5 of them and demanded a different model phone. Not cause I knew that they were obligated, but because I was beyond tired of that stupid phone. They gave me a choice between a Chocolate (ha) and the LG VX8700, and I chose the latter. My first one was fine for several months, then that one stopped working... I went through 4 of them eventually. Upon returning my last LG, I demended a new model phone again. (still unaware of triple flu) The manager of the store 'offered' me my new every 2 discount, but said I had to renew my contract to get it, or she could give me a replacement LG. I amazed that she even suggested a new contract after what I dealt with from them. (You see, I also had to call MONTHLY to fix the bill cause they always overcharged me... $120 once) I took a replacement LG and I was dialing 611 as I left the store. I talked to some kid who let slip triple flu, and I went off. I had been lied to, point blank, by a store manager, and by all accounts, I should have had 3 different model phones by then. I demanded to talk to a supervisor and it took me 10 minutes of telling that kid to let me talk to one before he sent me through.. When I got the supervisor, I detailed him my experiences and I told him that I was very seriously considering closing my account. He asked how he could keep me and I told him that I wasn't going to tell him how to win back a customer who had been screwed, he should know how to do it, he was, after all, a supervisor, and I was not getting paid by Verizon Wireless to babysit. (well-placed sarcasm is so powerful) He offered me the Samsung Glyde, which, at the time, had just come out and cost about $250, if I would keep my account open til it's original cancellation date. Giving me the phone would not change my plan/eligibility at all. I accepted. (I'm on my 2nd glyde now haha)

You basically have to know how to talk to these people. Ask to talk to a supervisor and tell them everything you've dealt with. Point how much money you pay them. Tell them you expect better of a company like Verizon. And tell them that you are seriously considering discontinuing your contract with them. (they have to pro-rate the cancellation fee now, btw) But don't take their crap anymore, cause they'll keep it going until you put a stop to it.

Good luck. And if you find you can't intimidate them properly, go find a chick like me and have her call for you lol.

Collapse -
me too! verizon moved my new every two date
by philesha716 / March 11, 2009 3:49 AM PDT

i experience the problem of them replacing my phone after it screwed up and they moved my new every two too 2010 but with a little patience and determination i talked to someone about how i felt it was wrong to peanalize me for a wraped device from the start (yup when i origanally signed up they gave me a refurbished device)they moved it back to its origanal date i think its highway robbery how they do things and they seek to get something out of you the customer when they the provider messed up seriously

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.