Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

how to get 3 hours of video on fewer DVDs.

by aknight53 / November 19, 2008 5:55 AM PST

Hi, I have 3 hours of video that I would like to burn to DVD. I used Cyberlink Power DVD to transfer to my computer and was able to get it all on 4 DVDs, however I want to give copies to family and not have to copy 4 DVDs Is there any way to compress my project to fit on 2? I did order a dual layer DVD recorder to hopefully get more on one of those DVDs. If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to get 3 hours of video on fewer DVDs.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to get 3 hours of video on fewer DVDs.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am not familiar with cyberlink, but if it doesn't work...
by ahtoi / November 19, 2008 3:23 PM PST

maybe you should give dvd flick a try (it's freeware). Personally I uses dvdshrink and Nero.

Collapse -
Cyberlink works fine
by aknight53 / November 19, 2008 7:28 PM PST

but I wondered about compressing this very long video. I haven't checked to see if Cyberlink can do that, or if I even SHOULD do that. I just need a little advice about compression, 4 DVD's is too much. thanks.

Collapse -
"or if I even SHOULD do that",
by ahtoi / November 20, 2008 5:29 PM PST
In reply to: Cyberlink works fine

what does that mean? First I would definitely check to see if cyberlink can do the reduction for you. As you were thinking of using double layer disc, now that would easily accomplish your objective. Yes, you are absolutely correct, 4 dvd for 3 hours of video is too much. Oh we don't chose the compression but we only chose the program that will do the job. So try your Cyberlink then dvd flick; and if those 2 doesn't work then we might have to get some other programs.
Good luck.

Collapse -
compression
by aknight53 / November 20, 2008 7:40 PM PST

What I mean is that if I compress, will I lose quality? My Cyberlink gives me options to produce after editing or to burn. I just burned from my original edit but if I choose to produce, I can create files: avI mpeg1, divx and avcmpeg. I am ignorant about this process, and is this where i would be able to compress further? I think I need a workshop on using this program!! thanks.

Collapse -
I think if other format are use...
by ahtoi / November 21, 2008 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: compression

the other question you have to ask is...is it compatible with the players of the family members.
I know divx could give you equal quality with less storage space.

Collapse -
Clarifications ...
by Papa Echo / November 30, 2008 4:28 PM PST

Where is this 3 hour video ? In what format ? On what medium ? Do you just want to archieve the video(plays on computer), or do you want DVDs which plays on a DVD player ?

Collapse -
format
by aknight53 / December 1, 2008 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Clarifications ...

The video is transfered onto my computer using a video editing program and I want it to play on home DVD players. I am able to get the whole show on 2 double layer DVDs so I think that is my only option.

Collapse -
Just curious....
by Papa Echo / December 1, 2008 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: format

Three hours video fitting into 2 DL DVD seems to be a lot ...I would have thought 3 hours video can easily fit into one common 4.7G DVD ....

Collapse -
3 hours into a 4.7 disc...
by ahtoi / December 2, 2008 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Just curious....

may or may not degrade the picture quality too much but 3 hours into a DL disc is certainly very doable.

Collapse -
tell me another way
by aknight53 / December 2, 2008 6:07 AM PST

There is no other way, if anyone can tell me how, I'd be interested, but 3 hours on 2 DL DVDs is the only way I know. Looks great by the way, but I need 300 copies of 2 DL disks (600 total), so it will be costly and time intensive!

Collapse -
Just sharing...
by Papa Echo / December 2, 2008 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: tell me another way

Maybe you can share how you did it your only way ?

Usually, the video is captured from your camcorder to AVI format(very large and relatively uncompressed), and video editing changes it to DVD "standard", i.e. mpeg2,(more manageable size - DVD quality) from which a DVD is "authored". Unless you have edited the video footage to mpeg4 (HD-blueray standard), one DVD(4.7G) is all that is required, or one DL DVD (8.8G). Of course, if you need HD ....or you created the DVDs straight from the AVI format, you need more space, but then this is not the "DVD" you want.... What I am trying to say is that if you want to create DVD, use mpeg2 standard source files, if HD, use mpeg4...

For your quantity of copies required, have you think about a "pressing" service ? (i.e produce "commercial" DVDs rather than burning them yourself.)

Collapse -
ah, the learning curve
by aknight53 / December 2, 2008 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing...

I have just discovered the software preferences when I burn, one is long play, standard play, High quality and Smart Fit. Because I didn't know better, I was burning in high quality mode. Now I can fit 3.5 hours on one DVD dual layer disk. I still need 300, so now I have to find a service to copy them for me. Unfortunately I just orderded 300 double DVD cases which I prefer not to return, and 300 dual layer DVDs. If I have a service do the copying, I'll be stuck with 300 Dual layer DVDs. Anyway, thanks for the last posts, I am definitely learning and have learned a lot. It helps to understand the software in these cases!

Collapse -
Keep it..it won't spoil, or...
by ahtoi / December 3, 2008 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: ah, the learning curve

give it to your friends; they will appreciated for sure, hehe.

Collapse -
hi
by arjiesotto / December 2, 2008 7:08 AM PST

if you need it to put it on 1 dvd. you have to convert it. just use mpeg2. it really doesnt loose the quality in it. convert it to higher rate on mpeg2. you can always try it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.