Small business & Startups forum

Question

How to gather more traffic?

by Cicidac / February 3, 2014 9:06 AM PST

Hi,

So I've started a tech news website with some friends, similar to CNET, and wondering how I can gather more traffic to my site.
It's still small, but I think, with enough persistence, I can make the website a local hit. How can I do that?

Thanks

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove promotional url on 02/03/2014 at 6:10 PM PT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to gather more traffic?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to gather more traffic?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Great question. But will that bankrupt you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2014 1:26 AM PST

But first, this question is an old one as you read from
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+increase+traffic+to+my+site

The one thing that repeats over and over is to offer free, original, and quality content on your site. If you have the same stories as Yahoo, Reddit and others then why would we go there?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Cicidac / February 4, 2014 10:41 AM PST

So maybe designing a new system unique to our site. But more on the marketing side, any recommendations for cheap, cost-effective advertising?
Thanks

Collapse -
You do realize that is the question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2014 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

If I knew that I would get that Tesla fleet for my crew. I don't want to discourage you but think about your questions. That is, good question but save it for the class room discussion?

Why would you go with advertising as most is considered spam. That is, if you used most methods, it's spam and most of us won't visit a spammed link.
Bob

Collapse -
Free advertising
by samp12 / April 2, 2014 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

If you're looking for some free adverts, Sage are running a competition at the moment where you can win £100k worth of advertising in the form of a billboard. All you have to do is post a 60 second video pitching your business at bagyourselfabillboard.com. I just did it, sounds really good!

Collapse -
Answer
Social media
by Allan_The1 / March 1, 2014 6:46 PM PST

I don't think it would be that hard, especially if you're targeting a local area. If you have a good on-page optimisation, the next logical step would be heavy social media activity, with a lot of sharing and engaging the users with your firm.

Collapse -
Answer
gather more traffic?
by komalchauhan11 / March 5, 2014 3:08 PM PST

Cicidac, you have to do local promotion of your website, join all social network start sharing there and also join related groups for share information of your business website.

As it is fresh website obviously will take time to be popular, have patient and go on with ethnic activities.

Collapse -
Answer
use SEO experts
by EdenAndrej / April 2, 2014 1:02 AM PDT

I use SEO experts from SEOClerks. There are a lot of experienced users there that can help you rank your website higher in the search engines and get more traffic.

Collapse -
Answer
re: How to gather more traffic?
by johnketu / April 8, 2014 10:06 PM PDT

First of all get SEo done for your website. that will help you to anaylsis the website, find your competitors, implement on search engine friendly technigues, find website errors and fix them, after that you can promote your website on social media, press release etc......Hope this will help you.

Collapse -
Answer
Answer
by Harrisondear / April 15, 2014 8:38 PM PDT

Follow this:
(1)Submit your website to top 3 Search Engines:-Yahoo,Bing,Google.
(2)Share you website URL on Social media websites like Facebook.Twitter etc.
(3)Post your advertisement for free on top Classified ads websites like Craigslist.org, ClassifiedAds.com, Kijiji.com etc
(4)Do SEO for your website.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.