Linux

Question

How to format used Centos 5.5 system?

by Magma24 / November 15, 2012 7:25 PM PST

I have recieved a laptop running Centos 5.5 from a person who did not want it.

When I start up the system it asks for a "hpsn" login. I do not know the username and password for that, so I want to know, could I somehow format the hard drive and install the system from scratch and have my own login so that I can use the Centos system on the laptop?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to format used Centos 5.5 system?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to format used Centos 5.5 system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: CentOS
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 7:32 PM PST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS shows it's a Linux variant especially for servers. You might be more happy installing a more consumer oriented variant like Ubuntu.

All Lunix-variants are free downloads.

Kees
Collapse -
Installation?
by Magma24 / November 15, 2012 7:41 PM PST
In reply to: Re: CentOS

So how would I install, for example Ubuntu, over this CentOS system?

Would I be able to burn it on a CD, insert the CD on startup and hence overwrite the CentOS installation?

Collapse -
Yes, that's how to install Linux.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 7:45 PM PST
In reply to: Installation?

That's how to install any OS, in fact.

I find Ubuntu too big to fit on a CD (although it should fit on a 700 MB one). But it works fine if you burn to DVD. Not a problem for most laptops.

Kees

Collapse -
CentOS system overwrite?
by Magma24 / November 15, 2012 8:33 PM PST

It says on the Ubuntu website that Ubuntu desktop can be burned to a DVD and installed to either replace Windows or Mac OS or run alongside them, are you sure this would be the same case with the CentOS system?

Also the laptop I am using for this is an Optima Centoris G200 , which looks a bit old to me, would the latest version of Ubuntu be compatible with this machine?

One last thing, so all I have to do is just download Ubuntu desktop (should I download the 64 bit or 32 bit version?), burn it to dvd, and then insert it into the laptop as I start the CentOS and just follow onscreen instructions from there?

Collapse -
Re: Ubuntu install
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 8:51 PM PST

Use the 32-bit version and do as you described. It might ask if you want to install it in the current partition (if it finds it OK), and/or let you delete it and create a new one all to its own wishes.

Kees

Collapse -
Not working
by Magma24 / November 16, 2012 9:01 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Ubuntu install

I tried using a windows Xp SP3 CD to install onto the system but it still booted the CentOs system and onto the hpsn login prompt of which I do not know the details.

The same happened when I had tried the Ubuntu 12.10 DVD, it just ignores the CD/DVD and doesn't give me a chance to install a different operating system, any ideas?

Collapse -
When the CD fails to boot
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: Not working

You look at the CD by testing if it boots elsewhere. I find new to this folk continue to place the .ISO file on the CD/DVD rather than create a CD from the ISO (yes those are two different procedures.)

Once you know the CD is good then you look at the PC. Old CD/DVD drives often lose that boot capability. Smile as they ask how to fix an old CD Drive.
Bob

Collapse -
How to burn Ubuntu?
by Magma24 / November 19, 2012 7:10 PM PST

Well, I had downloaded the ubuntu 12.10 desktop iso file and burned it to a DVD disc, when I try to boot my fairly modern laptop (I had bought it only a couple of years ago and it runs Windows 7) with this DVD disc it does the same thing, it just starts windows 7 & and ignores it.

Wouldn't a modern laptop have the capability to boot of a CD/DVD?

Since this didn't work on my modern laptop, I think burning the Ubuntu 12.10 iso file to a DVD disc was not the correct procedure, so do I have to create the DVD from the iso file? If so how do I do that?

Collapse -
Re: how to burn Ubuntu?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: How to burn Ubuntu?
Collapse -
Problem with installing
by Magma24 / November 20, 2012 3:09 PM PST

Well, I burned the DVD in the way suggested on ubuntu.com, and this time when I put in the DVD at startup it comes up with icons ( looks like a keyboard and a man in the star formation).

If I don't press a key before these icons disappear, then the ubuntu menu does not come up. When I do press a key in time, the menu shows the ubuntu logo and several options.

The options in the menu shown include:

Try Ubuntu without installing

Install Ubuntu

Check disc for defects

Test memory

Boot from first hard disk

When I select "Install Ubuntu" it brings me to a black screen with an insertion point at the top left, and nothing happens after that, even when I press random keys on the keyboard.

The same happened when I selected the option "Check disc for defects".

Why is this happening? What am I doing wrong?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.