Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

how to format a hard drive with xp

by thomm / August 2, 2005 10:13 AM PDT

i have a system that is running xp and i need to format the hard drive due to a new mobo. in the past i have tried and i ran into a problem that you already have an os installed. what is the best way to format in xp? thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to format a hard drive with xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to format a hard drive with xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boot from your XP cd....
by Michael Geist / August 2, 2005 10:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows XP forum: how to format a hard drive with xp
by azizi_naser / February 14, 2013 9:42 AM PST

Windows XP forum: how to format a hard drive with xp

Collapse -
This old discussion is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 9:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Thomm, Here Are Instructions..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 2, 2005 10:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Formatting HD with XP
by JosePablo58 / August 4, 2005 10:00 PM PDT

If it is only to format, for example a new HD:
Click on "Start", richt click "My Computer" click on "Manage" and than on "Disk Management".
Select the disk you want to format and do a "right click", select 'format' from the pop-up window and read the warning about loosing all data on the disk.
Eventually select the FORMAT of your formatting like "FAT32" or "NTSF" and OK.
After some time- depending a on the size of your HD- you will see a message that the disk is "Healty".
Close the lot and your HD is cleanly formatted. Jos.

Collapse -
Formatting HD with XP
by tonyron227 / August 4, 2005 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Formatting HD with XP

To reformat your HD with XP, simply insert your XP cd and delete the partition containing the operating system, then install XP onto that partition. Choose NTFS file system ["quick", if the option is available] then follow all of the steps for the next 39 minutes. After you re-activate XP, install all of your previous programs, anti-virus, spyware apps, and updates from Windows website. Be sure to install SP2 so you will get a free firewall. If you have questions, e-mail me.

Collapse -
Formatting Drive
by no8rf / October 6, 2008 3:48 AM PDT

When I'm trying to reformatt the drive on what I think is a compaq computer, however when I try with the windows CD I can not format, I get to the point where it states select any key to boot from CD but nothing happens, it by passes the cd and boots right to windows XP again, both my DVD and CD drives have been checked and are working good. To tell you the truth this machine has been reworked so many times it's hard to say what it is.

James

Collapse -
reformat xp pro
by 2wyno2 / August 1, 2011 5:34 AM PDT

My grand daughters computer is running very slowly. She has very little if any important stuff on it .I think re -formatting will solve the problem. Any comments? Yes or no?

Collapse -
But formatting gives us a blank drive with no OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2011 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: reformat xp pro

Is that the intention? If not, look at Grif and other replies above such as "Thomm, Here Are Instructions.."

Collapse -
Depends On WHY It's Running Slow
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 1, 2011 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: reformat xp pro

Although a reformat and reinstall of the operating system might help if tons of extra programs and malware are clogging up the system, if the computer has a slow processor and minimal amounts of RAM, it won't help much.. Unfortunately, you didn't give us that information..

For most who bought a computer when Windows XP was first released, the brand name computers had 256 MB or 512 MB of RAM on the cheap models. After Service Packs 1, 2, & 3 were released, those minimal amounts of RAM didn't work well any more. Add memory hogging antivirus programs, hundreds of Windows Update, plus all the other software folks add to their computer and computers slow down a lot..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
But w/o CD???
by supercourier / August 4, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

Great, but how would I format and reinstall if I have no CD? Compaq Presario with RAID 0 drives and no XP Pro CD here; came preinstalled. Help!

Collapse -
But w/o CD???
by tonyron227 / August 4, 2005 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: But w/o CD???

You cannot re-install without a CD. Do you have a recovery disk? That will do the same thing as the CD...

Collapse -
Supercourier, is you problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 4, 2005 10:22 PM PDT

the same as Thomms?

If not, you would be wise to start a new discussion with full details of the problem. In fact, it would be wise even if it seems the same because the answers, if any, may well be different and may deflect from the original posters problem.

You say you have no XP CD. A call to the provider of the computer will solve that and prevent future problems.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
No CD
by maddogthegreat / August 4, 2005 11:15 PM PDT

Read your PC's manual. The hard drive should contain the disk, you have to burn it to a cd.

Collapse -
no CD
by dhz920 / August 4, 2005 11:16 PM PDT

I know that sucks. I had that problem with that on an older system. They had a disk with their image on it, including the operating system. You should have been provided with that.

Collapse -
Compaq Messed Up; Isolated Case
by supercourier / April 1, 2006 2:11 PM PST

I know this thread was long forgotten, but in case any archaeologists stumble across it, it turns out that after a long time with tech support, they determined that the original installation lacked either a recovery image, or the software to create one, which was a factory booboo on Compaq's part.

Although Compaq's website offers recovery discs for sale (yeah, right), the tech dispatched some to me gratis. They didn't have a DVD version in stock, so I ended up with something like a dozen CDs Sad

Thanks for your suggestions.

Collapse -
reformat
by kingstrat52 / August 4, 2005 10:49 PM PDT

Thank you josepablo58. that is the most straight foreward answer yet. I really appreciate it. I have had to have a freind do it for me in the past but now I feel confident in doing it myself.

Collapse -
compaq should've provided you with some form of recovery
by militantmike / August 4, 2005 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: reformat

compaq should've provided you with some form of recovery. for instance, I have a sony vaio and the first thing they have you do after you plug it in and turn it on is make a recovery kit. you can also download a jump start floppy kit for XP from microsoft. it's suppposed to be for when your computer can't boot from cd rom.

here's the link for home edition

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8

here's the link for pro

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F

you'll still need an install cd though to finish the install. just a thought.

Collapse -
Formatting
by eya1 / August 9, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

My lady n I live in Israel; she bought her machine in the states. No discs whatsoever were provided. It's a nightmare that will only be resolved should we go out and buy a copy of XP Home, etc etc

Collapse -
Formatting
by Themisive / August 9, 2005 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Formatting

Probably the best idea

Collapse -
Actually
by eya1 / August 11, 2005 7:29 PM PDT

I just realised that the serial key is pasted on the back of the Toshiba with a barcode sticker. We can take it in to any computershop here and they will format it for next to nothing.

Buying a new copy of the software would cost $120 - $170.

Once THAT's done I will load OpenOffice and life is good

Collapse -
Restoring newer Compaqs
by Lennygrt / June 20, 2008 5:34 AM PDT

For the last year or two, Compaq has been putting the restore function in a small partition on the hard drive. I have bought two that use that approach. Best thing to do is make a set of cds or dvds from that and store in a safe place. Just another way to make the computer a bit cheaper. Take a peak and see if you dont have a partition that has your restore OS on it. Will work if the C partition goes bad, but of NO value if the whole hard drive should stop working, so best to burn a set of back ups.

Collapse -
How do I re-install and format Windows XP with CD?
by SusieC1979 / July 31, 2010 10:20 PM PDT

I have a Windows XP CD and my computer will not boot up due to a virus that has taken hold of it. However when I put the CD in and follow the instructions to re-install windows till it says press F8 to confirm agreement, nothing happens. I hit the F8 key but nothing happens, how do I get my PC back up and running can anyone help please? I had thought about formatting the c: in dos before trying it again, would this work if the virus has set into my system files? It seems the virus is preventing me from re-installing windows, even with the original cd I cant do anything! I have a partitioned drive c: and d: but only store personal stuff on d: so everything is installed on the c:

Someone please help me!

Regards
Sue

Collapse -
This is hidden in a discussion from 2005.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 2:56 AM PDT

Next time post a new discussion.

And this issue has been covered a few times with the common issue being a machine with some USB keyboard. Fix?

a) Use the PS2 keyboard.
b) Set the BIOS to use USB Keyboards. There is NO STANDARD HERE so only the idea is presented.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.