How To forum

How to force stop an android app and keep it closed?

by golfgirl8350 / August 6, 2011 6:47 AM PDT
I use Auto Killer to "force stop" (close) apps on my Droid 2, and notice that many of the apps open themselves up again almost immediately. What can I do to close them and keep them closed until I actually use them again? (Is there an app for that?) If I rooted my phone is there a solution?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to force stop an android app and keep it closed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to force stop an android app and keep it closed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Barking Up the Wrong Tree?
by smeyer420 / August 6, 2011 8:19 AM PDT

There are many apps within Android that are designed to function with a background process all the time. As far as I know there is no reliable way to keep some of these apps closed and furthermore you may actually be doing more harm than good by forcing them to close in the first place.

Collapse -
This was helpful and I still have a question...
by golfgirl8350 / August 6, 2011 2:37 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me why certain apps keep re-opening? Here are some that always restart themselves: Alarm & Timer, Amazon App Store, Double Twist, Music, Skype Mobile & Verizon Navigator. I understand why some apps reopen, but not these. They aren't background processes that need to be open, and deleting them altogether won't affect anything.

Collapse -
Just a thought, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 27, 2012 8:09 AM PDT

Alarm & Timer need to run so that they can function correctly and "alarm" at the given time.
Amazon App Store (what a name ripoff) needs to check to see if there are any updates to your installed apps
Double Twist needs to check on the availability of a wifi network so that it can "automatically sync"
Skype Mobile needs to be ready for any incoming calls
Verizon Navigator needs to know exactly where it is at any given time

Just a thought

Collapse -
by SkriLLo7 / April 26, 2012 2:28 PM PDT

This is the most useless answer lol nobody is trying to close important or vital ****, its the useless apps that neep to bw forced to stay closed. How? I love my games and slacker but im pretty sure iy wont be the end of the world to force it closed until the next time I need it -_-

Collapse -
Replies about why I shouldn't do this will be criticized
by Ego_Ipse23 / February 18, 2014 7:30 PM PST
In reply to: Woww

Okay so a general search around Google seems to result in nothing, everyone who knows how appears to know how to keep an app closed so it does not reopen itself and use up RAM in the background seems more interested in telling the question asker why they shouldn't do this rather than actually answering the question that was asked. CNet seems to be a reputable place full of knowledgeable people so I'm hoping that my cry for help will be seen and acknowledged here. I apologize however if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

On to the problem. I don't care that Android wants to keeps these apps open in the background, I understand why they do it, but it is a feature that I wish to disable. Period. Having android immediately reopen apps that I rarely use (and therefore won't uninstall) just for the off chance that I might open it then it can open it faster annoys me to no end because it does this with so many apps that I have very little RAM for other things. I would rather wait for an app to open than to have it open right away yet slew down other running apps. If you try and tell me reasons why I should just get over it I will likely insult your observational skills, and that will just piss us both off.

What I want to know is, is something like this possible, and, if so, how might I do it?

Collapse -
Remember this varies on which version Android.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 3:52 AM PST

Here on what I have, Android allows me to disable the app and bingo, no longer runs.

Some fault google for not issuing new versions for their device so let's note XDA Developers for a possible source of newer versions that offer this disable.

PS. This thread is more than 927 days old. It's retired and let's start fresh this time with full detail.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.