Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to fix the stretched screen

by tokoG / January 23, 2008 3:17 PM PST

Hi. My stupid cat walked on my TOSHIBA M30 laptop and made few beep noises, then the next thing I realised was that the screen is streched out horizontally that the characters are big and blurr so hard to read, and I don't know how to fix this.

Whilst pressing "Fn" on my key board, tried pressing F1 - F12 but nothing happened except other commands poped up.

Tried control panel but I couldn't find anything relative.

Does anyone know what happened and how to fix this?

Thank you very very much!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to fix the stretched screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to fix the stretched screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go to
by PudgyOne / January 23, 2008 5:59 PM PST

control panel/display/settings

mine are 1280 x 800 32 bit If you use 800 x 600 everything will be big.

click on desktop

choose picture

choose center. Stretch will stretch out the picture to full screen. Can sometimes distort things.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Rick

Collapse -
thanks for the reply but didn't sort out!
by tokoG / January 24, 2008 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: Go to

Hi

Thanks for your time replying to my question. Happy

You mean, to click "desktop" from control panel display setting?
I think I know what you mean by "centre" that's what I use when I change my desk top wall paper. Is this the page you are talking about?

I use 1024 * 768 pixel and my picture is right in the "centre". So, I think the problem is something else?

It's what my cat did just by walking on the key board so I wondered if there are any ways to fix this just pressing some combination of the keys...?

The new setting (stretched one) is not so bad... a bit blurry compared to what I had before. Well, keep searching for the answer.. Wink

Collapse -
Remember the video
by PudgyOne / January 24, 2008 5:30 PM PST

try System Restore. Go back to the first Reatore point before your cat walked on your keyboard.

Rick

Collapse -
Figured it out!
by obrow093 / January 12, 2012 3:48 PM PST

Hey!
Same thing happened to me last night on my laptop (same model exactly). Super simple to fix!

Hold down Fn key
Press the space bar
Use the space bar to move to the "normal" setting

Voila! Everything goes back to normal Happy

Hope that helps!

Collapse -
OMG I LOVE YOU!!!
by RanbowFire / April 12, 2013 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Figured it out!

How the fuq did you figure that one out?! One of the kittens did exactly the same thing to my Altec Lansing(?) Asus Notebook/netbook (no idea!). I had no idea what I was googling, and there they were: feline shenanigans.

Thanks HEAPS!
(heart)

Collapse -
(NT) thanks!
by pong-pagong / March 18, 2014 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Figured it out!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.