Mac Desktops forum

how to fix inability of imac to download?

by Maknyper / November 11, 2012 12:12 PM PST

All of a sudden I can't download anything! It says it has check for virus but when I click "download now" nothing happens. Also when I go to applications I don't see my Download Manager. what happened? and how to retrieve this ability.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to fix inability of imac to download?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to fix inability of imac to download?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Lack of details do not help
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 8:50 PM PST

What says it has "check for virus"?
What version of OS X are you using?
OS X does not have a Download Manager as such. Did you install one?
What browser are you using?

Collapse -
lack of details downloading
by Maknyper / November 12, 2012 2:04 AM PST

I am running OS 10.6.8. The notice about checking for virus has always come up and still comes up after I click on the icon, photo, or pdf file that is attached to the Yahoo email I have received with it in. I am using Firefox. there is then a little note under where I have clicked that says "download now" and when I click on it it does not open it as it did before. There is a slight flicker up at the top left of the inbox, but nothing else. Also, before when I clicked download now, a box would open up behind the page that would show the item being downloaded. Then it would either open itself with Pages, or I could click on that and it would show in Finder where it was located. None of that happens now.

I am sorry I do not know much about the workings of computer though I have had this for a few years and have always loved the Mac. I hope you can help me. Does it mean my computer is too old and I need to gert a new one.

Collapse -
Now try it with Safari and tell us if the same is happening
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 7:58 AM PST

Did you install Anti-Virus software?

Collapse -
I tried it with Safari, and it works with that browser.
by Maknyper / November 13, 2012 2:28 AM PST

I have not installed and Anti-virus software.

Collapse -
Stick with what works, delete Firefox and
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 7:37 AM PST

reinstall it from a fresh download.

Collapse -
(NT) how do I delete Firefox?
by Maknyper / November 14, 2012 1:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Drag it to the trash
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2012 7:05 AM PST

then go to your Home folder > Library > Preferences and delete the Firefox preferences.

that is NOT the library that is at the root of the HD but the one in your Home folder

Collapse -
(NT) Iwill trash firefox, but I like it for the google window. I
by Maknyper / November 14, 2012 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: Drag it to the trash
Collapse -
Yeah, I miss the separate Google window too
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2012 9:13 PM PST

but it soon becomes easy to work around, especially if you use Tabbed browsing

Collapse -
(NT) Hmm maybe I should know what tabbed browsing is?
by Maknyper / November 15, 2012 8:57 AM PST
Collapse -
Depending on your version of Safari
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 8:58 PM PST

Tabbed browsing is either a choice or a default.

Safari Preferences has a Tab for Tabs.

When you open Safari, you will see a + mark at the top right of the window. Right underneath the word "Reader"
Click that and you will get a new page. Go anywhere you like and still have the original page open. If I am doing a lot of Googling, I will have a tab open at the Google page, find my stuff and, by right clicking the link, can have it open in a new tab.

Basically it is a way of having multiple pages open at the same time but without having multiple Safari windows open.
For instance, when I take a look through the Mac forums, I am able to have all the ones I look at, open at the same time. I just click on each of the separate tags to view each forum.

You will note in the Bookmark Bar, at the top of Safari, the word News with a little triangle next to it. Click the triangle and you will get a list of news sites and the line that says "Open in Tabs"
Click on that. You will see what Tabbed browsing is

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.