Laptops forum

Question

How to fix black screen after startup

by gslrider / January 11, 2012 3:18 AM PST

I've had my HP 1000 Mini Netbook for some time. Hadn't used in a while and it seemed very sluggish, and about 10GB of HDD space was being used up and I couldn't figure out how. So I decided to reformat and reinstall Windows XP Pro. The install went great, Netbook ran fine. But there were some missing drivers that I needed to install. Decided to do that the next day as I was getting tired. Powered up the Netbook the next day and started to install the missing network drivers. The Netbook was running fine. I then powered it down. An hour later, I decided to power it back up. This where the problem began.

I powered the Netbook, saw the first screen with HP logo and F9 and F10 options. Let it continue. Saw the Windows XP startup screen. But once it finished loading (Windows logo disappeared), instead of seeing my login screen, all I got was a black screen. The disc activity light was still going, like it was finishing the startup cycle. It eventually stopped. At this point, I would normally enter my PW to finish login. But could not see anything back a black screen. I decided to wait a little bit to see if the login screen would come on. Nothing. Now I tested this 3 times, and it did the same thing all 3 times. I'm pretty sure the system is running, I just get a black screen. Because as soon as the activity light stopped, I waited for a bit, and entered my password (as that's what I would have normally done after startup). As soon as hit ENTER, the disc activity light started going off again. That's why I'm sure the system is running. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm getting a black screen after startup.

I tried booting from an external boot drive, and the same thing happens, black screen after the Windows startup screen. I tried to boot from Safe Mode, but for some reason, it freezes. I also tried boot from last working configuration, and again, black screen. Because I do see text and graphics prior to the black screen, I'm quite sure it's not physically the screen itself. This is software base. Can anyone shed some light on how/why this is happening, and how I can go about fixing this?

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to fix black screen after startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to fix black screen after startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Are you saying you didn't use the OS that came with?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2012 3:22 AM PST
Collapse -
May have figured out a fix.
by gslrider / January 11, 2012 6:34 AM PST

Lost that disc long ago. Had an XP SP3 disc though. I found out what went wrong. Because I used a non-OEM install disc, it didn't load up the proper graphics driver. Which explains why originally, after the XP install, the graphics was stuck at 640 x 480 resolution (no other resolutions settings available). So I went searching through the driver settings and found a list of higher res settings and chose a 1024x600 option from the list. What I didn't realize was that even if the resolution worked after applying, the graphics driver was still incorrect. So after I rebooted the Netbook, it couldn't recognize the 1024x600 resolution on the startup sequence. And it couldn't revert back to the default 640x480. Hence why the screen was blacking out after the initial startup screen.

I'm going to have to remove the SSD and reformat using my desktop system. Then redo everything. I knew I should have installed the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator driver I downloaded from HP (for that netbook) before I restarted it. I will post back later with the outcome. Thanks for the reply though.

Collapse -
Black screen fixed
by gslrider / January 12, 2012 8:46 AM PST

So it was easier than I had initially thought. I had another XP install
disc on hand, more of custom one with all drivers. So decided to see
if I can boot from that one. And voila, booted fine, started installing
all relevant drivers, then gave me the option to reformat drive and
install XP. Once that was complete, I reinstalled the real Windows XP
disc. All is good now. If anyone is curious, the custom disc I used is
called Windows XP SP3 TrueFaster.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.