Samsung forum

Resolved Question

How to find underscore character on Samsung phone keyboard

by jeanniegraham / October 29, 2011 8:34 PM PDT

I foolishly used an underscore character in a user name, and I can't find it on the Samsung Galaxy S2 keyboard, so I can't log into the android version of flickr!
Anybody know where the character is? This _ is the character I'm looking for.

jeanniegraham has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to find underscore character on Samsung phone keyboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to find underscore character on Samsung phone keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by jeanniegraham

Collapse -
Underscore and other special chars on Android/Samsung
by edb_gene / October 11, 2012 6:28 PM PDT

Once you`re viewing the keyboard, tap the "?123" button to get to the numeric keyboard, then,
once you see the numeric keyboard, tap the "1/3" button (==Page 1 of 3 Numbers and Symbols).
The underscore will be in the top row of Page 2, third from the left.
PS: Smileys are on Page 3 of 3.

Collapse -
Underscore
by rufuswallaby / June 22, 2015 6:30 AM PDT

Good answer works 100%

Collapse -
Answer
Is that this phone?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2011 8:52 PM PDT
http://i53.tinypic.com/30mvokh.jpg

If so, look at the CTRL, Alt keys at the bottom. Just to the right is a key with the " - " character and on that key the SHIFT character looks like " _ ".

Does that work?

Mark
Collapse -
Not that phone - but I have solved the prob!
by jeanniegraham / October 29, 2011 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Is that this phone?

The keyboard I have is only on screen, and it has a very limited character set, and no ctrl or alt keys. However, I found a friend's e mail address which uses the underscore character in the phone, and managed to cut and paste the character into my log-in screen. Result!

Collapse -
Glad you found it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2011 10:38 PM PDT

but I'm intrigued. Obviously the character is there somewhere otherwise a copy/paste wouldn't have worked, so why it is not available on the onscreen keyboard is a mystery.

Can you supply a web address link which shows this phone? You say the one I provided isn't the same one you have, so myself or anyone else can look into it more?

Thanks.

But good work by the way! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Smartphone details
by jeanniegraham / October 29, 2011 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Glad you found it

This is the link to my phone - http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s-ii/4505-6452_7-35003060.html?tag=prodList.0;bingo.5

Basically it has a screen of qwerty, with a shift key. Then it offers a screen of numbers plus about 17 other characters (not inc the underscore). (It doesn't offer any currency symbols either, AFAIK) but I have pasted these in before using the 'clipboard' function.

I don't think Iagree with you that 'they must be there' on the input device to be recognised by the operating system and display device?

Collapse -
You may well be right.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2011 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Smartphone details
Collapse -
Changing keyboard type
by jeanniegraham / October 29, 2011 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: You may well be right.

That doesn't help - I've been through all the options qwerty, 3x4, etc (just while exploring) and though I can choose a Russian keyboard layout with cyrillic characters, or Kanji - nowhere do underscore or currency characters appear - the non alphanumeric characters are standard across all languages.

This must be a deliberate choice by Samsung (or for this generic keyboard layout). At least the hash key and the @symbol are close to hand, and there is even a dedicated key for .com.

Collapse -
I see you are not alone.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 30, 2011 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Changing keyboard type
Collapse -
Simple?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2012 8:20 PM PST
In reply to: did u even google it?

Nothing is simple if you don't know.

But thanks for your link anyway. I already found the solution.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
I've found the _ KEY on the Samsung sii finally!!!!!
by shax12 / July 4, 2012 8:48 PM PDT

Hey, I've been having the same problems with my galaxy sii as well. So i decided to Google it, and after finding this forum i had to prove that Samsung wasn't stupid enough to forgot essential symbols such as the _ KEY.

Anyway if you have a Samsung galaxy sii then here is the way to find more of your needy symbols .

Click on the 123 button, then you shall see a key on the left like this '1/3' . After clicking this you will see all the other lost symbols we've been longing for. Hope o answered your question!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.