Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

How to find track info?

by cdharris / January 18, 2008 12:05 AM PST

I am going to rip a large number of LPs to my hard drive for use on an Ipod later. I would like to find a way to input the track and artist information as easily as possible. Is this something that ITunes can handle? Does it make a difference which format I convert them into? Is there another website or program I can use? I don't want to have to manually input all this information. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to find track info?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to find track info?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Far from automatic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2008 1:04 AM PST

Unlike AudioCD which has some digital info for us to automate this, your analog captures will have to be manually named.

Collapse -
Track info
by cdharris / January 18, 2008 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: Far from automatic.

I understand that I am going to have to do some work, but is there software or a website that could fill in the track information if I tell it what album the tracks are from? I know that ITunes will fill in the information on some "unknown" CD tracks if you point it in the right direction. Can I do the same same with tracks ripped from LPs?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2008 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: Track info

Remember we are talking about analog rips. There is no tool known to automate this. Of course you could try copy and pasting such info off web pages. Here's how.

Open your app where the boxes show where to fill in the details. Open a web page with the details you want to use. Now highlight the web text you like, click, drag that text from the web to your app.

Saves a little typing.

Collapse -
musicbrainz.org
by rroth15 / February 23, 2011 12:08 AM PST

Use software here:
http://www.musicbrainz.org/

MusicBrainz Tagger (PC) and iEatBrainz (OS X) use "acoustic fingerprints (TRMs) to semiautomatically identify tracks in your music collection and then write clean and accurate metadata to your music files.

Collapse -
TuneUp App
by missdelaney2 / June 12, 2012 5:56 AM PDT

You can definitely use TuneUp to input all of the track info, as they use the sound itself, like shazaam, to identify the song, and then put all of that info into your newly ripped tracks. I did this exact same process about a month ago, and it was pretty easy.

hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.