Storage

General discussion

How to erase data on my DVD-RAM?

by benedictkhoojr / January 28, 2006 4:53 PM PST

I have no trouble writing to the RAM. It?s when i try to ?erase? the data i run into problems i.e. it just wont erase.
I use the ?My CD Writer? program. I choose the folder/file i want to delete and press the big red X and the DVD RAM spins up and a few seconds later the file is no longer there. BUT the data itself isn?t erased at all because my RAM is now full but with no files in it. I assume it only deleted the file names and not the data!
Do i need to get another program to do this? (I have a matsushita DVD RAM drive in my NEC notebook and am using a panasonic DVD RAM disc.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to erase data on my DVD-RAM?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to erase data on my DVD-RAM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You can only erase a DVD-RW disk.
by Coryphaeus / January 28, 2006 10:34 PM PST
Collapse -
Huh?
by klonestar / January 29, 2006 4:29 AM PST

I have zero experience w/Ram burning however am planning on buying a Ram supported burner in the very near future. In researching this venue it is stated that a Ram disc can be over written up to 100,000 times.

Are you saying files on a Ram disc cannot be erased but only over written? If so why does the above say it say is full?

It also states that a Ram disc can be run like a HD re: drag and drop, delete, erase, etc....??

How about just reformatting the Ram disc?

Sorry for more questions than answers. Im interested in and following this thread as im getting a Ram burner soon.

My uneducated guess agrees that its probably a software issue.

Thanks,
Ken

Collapse -
Sorry, my mind was elsewyere. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 29, 2006 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: Huh?

had a senior moment. Was thinking of DVD-R.

Collapse -
Maybe you need just the right tools.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2006 10:58 PM PST

You have the DVD-RAM disk, drive and now one more piece.

Lookup CDBURNERXP (google) and try it's erase function.

Bob

Collapse -
erase
by benedictkhoojr / February 1, 2006 6:22 PM PST

Thanks Bob,
I downloaded CDBURNERXP and it's ERASE function works fine. Unfortunately, it erases everything on the DVD RAM. So i can't do what i assumed was what DVD RAM was made for. Selectively backing up/deleting individual files. As of now, it's not much more than overpriced DVD/RW disc.
Thanks for the link tho as at least now i can erase the whole disc as opposed to before where i couldn't even do that!

Collapse -
For that feature you need PACKET WRITING SOFTWARE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2006 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: erase

But I don't use such. Maybe you want to try it, but I know better. It's only 99.99% reliable from my experiences.

Bob

Collapse -
Additional question...
by klonestar / January 29, 2006 4:36 AM PST

Since DVD Ram supposedly supports drag and drop couldnt one drag and drop files/folders to the trash can?

Sorry I dont mean to hijack this thread Im just very interested in this topic and am trying to learn before buying a unit that supports Ram burning.

Have you checked for manufs. updates, patches, etc.?

Ken

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.