Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to end a process safely in task manager?

by bspkumar / June 28, 2008 11:40 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to end a process safely in task manager?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to end a process safely in task manager?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you mean with "safely"?
by Kees Bakker / June 29, 2008 12:07 AM PDT

Or, formulated otherwise, what's (in your definition) the difference between safe and unsafe ending of a process?

And can you tell if you're talking about any particular process?

Kees

Collapse -
I dont know,but someone told ,be careful while ending a proc
by bspkumar / June 30, 2008 4:33 PM PDT

I dont know,but someone told ,be careful while ending a process.
For Example :
realsched.exe

Collapse -
What happens when you terminate processes.....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 8:35 PM PDT

You're right in that some processes are essential for the Windows OS, (Operating System), to continue working properly, and if you terminate the wrong process the system could stop, dead.

But the Task Manager option of ending processes can also be very useful, especially if you have an application running that won't close down properly. For example, occasionally my Firefox browser doesn't close down properly when I shut it down. The next time I try to open FF I get a message saying that Firefox is already running, and please ensure it is closed down. Checking the Task Manager, either Processes tab or Applications tab, if I see Firefox.exe still listed but no browser window open, then I know it did not close down properly. Then it is OK for me to highlight the Firefox.exe entry and click the End Process button.

So, the Task Manager is useful. But it needs handling with care. Sure you can end the realshed.exe process if you wish and the computer system will not blow up or otherwise expire, but perhaps you can tell us why you want to do this. It might help us give you better advice.

Mark

Collapse -
Essential?
by EddyTortelli / February 19, 2009 5:52 AM PST

Okay. So what are some unessential tasks? YOu know the ones that are just taking up space?

Eddy

Collapse -
Ending processes in Task Manager
by robertewilson / February 20, 2009 11:51 PM PST

Some older versions of applications (e.g., MS Outlook for one) may be launched multiple times yet only one of the instances is visiblw and accessible; the rest are running in hidden windows and can be shut down "safely" using Task Manager. Also, if MS Word is used as the email editor, it also runs concurrently. Task Manager can close all running instances of each. Afterward, you may need to run Outlook's Detect & Repair (from the Help menu; original CD required). No need to reboot, however. The warning on other posts about being careful when selecting processes to terminate should be heeded.

Collapse -
Research those items listed. . .
by Cursorcowboy / February 19, 2009 10:53 PM PST

The Scheduled Task Wizard is mostly but not entirely self-explanatory. Here are a few items however which might not be apparent at first glance:

a. Schedule any application, script, batch program, shortcut, or linked document -- anything which can be executed on a command line and include command-line arguments, but may require a visit to the task's properties dialog box after creating the task to be performed -- IOW, requires user intervention.

b. If a task is scheduled to run when my computer starts, that task will run as a noninteractive process and will continue to run, regardless of who is logged on, until the system is shutdown or it is terminated by the administrator.

c. If a task is scheduled to run when I log on for instance, the task actually runs interactively (provided it is designed to run that way) when anyone logs on. If someone else logs on, the task runs as a noninteractive process.

Note: If a task for your own use is expected to run interactively but someone else logs on before you, that task will run noninteractively. Windows XP leaves the task running when the other user logs off (because you own it) and does not start a second, interactive instance when you log on. Open Scheduled Tasks right-click the task and choose End Task Then right-click it again and choose Run.

Warning: Logon tasks do not run when using Fast User Switching to switch to another person's profile - even if the new user has not already logged on. Logon task that are not already running run only when someone logs on while all users are logged off.

d. The "AnswersThatWork" site states that through our support service we often come across problems caused primarily by programs running in the background, programs which in most cases start at the same time as Windows. Sometimes these programs are useful and need to be there; quite often, however, they are not needed, and in too many cases they cause severe problems. The pages below are from our in-house database and provide guidance on the usefulness or not of these programs, and removal procedures when recommended. In Windows 95/98/ME you can bring up the Task List by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del. In Windows NT4/2000/XP you bring up the Task List by right-clicking on the Task Bar and choosing "Task Manager"

Note: Use the alphanumeric buttons displayed at this site to determine the name, manufacturer or program name, and receive general tips.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by EddyTortelli / February 20, 2009 2:27 AM PST

Really cleared things up for me. Happy

Thank you,
Eddy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.