Windows Vista forum

General discussion

how to download new cursors and where

by snoonie / March 23, 2007 11:00 AM PDT

Actually I think the title says it all. I want more cursors such as what I can find on the net and I could do it easily with 98. XP completely confused me and now with a new computer with Vista I am totally baffled about everything. What a hassle just trying to read power point presentations. Nothing is straightforward any more. Oh how I wish I had my 98 back.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to download new cursors and where
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to download new cursors and where
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two main ways...
by John.Wilkinson / March 23, 2007 12:21 PM PDT

The first is to find and download.cur (cursor) files. It doesn't matter where you download them to or store them. Then you can go Start->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Change Pointer Appearance. Select each pointer type one by one, click Browse, and browse to the location of the cursor files you downloaded, selecting the appropriate one. Reapeat until all cursor types have been changed.

The other way is to use the free program CursorXP, which makes life a whole lot easier. Once you've downloaded and installed it, you can click here to browse for and download cursor packages designed for use with CursorXP. To apply the cursors, simply double-click the icon package from wherever you downloaded it to...all cursors will be updated in seconds.

The difference is that with CursorXP, the program must run automatically every time you start your computer for the custom cursors to be loaded, meaning it does consume a small amount of RAM. The first way, on the other hand, uses no additional resources but is more difficult to set up.

Hope this helps,

P.S. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Collapse -
(NT) Excellent! Thanks! Clear and concise!
by snoonie / March 24, 2007 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Two main ways...
Collapse -
Problems with Windows.
by Ben2talk / November 11, 2007 6:05 PM PST

What can be easier than downloading animated cursors and copying them to your Windows/cursor folder? Can anyone justify installing another auto startup program to slow down your desktop setup? Please tell me why!!!

Collapse -
You don't have to load them yourself...
by John.Wilkinson / November 12, 2007 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: Problems with Windows.

If you download standard cursors (.cur or .ani), you usually have to apply them one-by-one. Considering there are 15 default cursor types (ranging from Normal Select to Link Select), it can be tedious to apply them all each time you change them. CursorXP and others give you a simple double-click option to apply an entire collection of cursors. They also usually offer a greater number of special effects the cursors can possess, along with a larger unified selection from the publisher.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.