Camcorders forum

General discussion

How to download movies from my Vixia HF10 to my Vista?

by orencnet / October 12, 2009 2:34 PM PDT

I've recentl bought a new laptop with Vista. I am trying to download some movies from my Canon Vixia HF10 to my PC. Vista can access the camera as a disk but I see there tons of files while I know thre should be only two movies. I can't open these files.
I do not have the original software I got when buying the camcorder.
Any ideas how I ca get the files to my PC and play them?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to download movies from my Vixia HF10 to my Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to download movies from my Vixia HF10 to my Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The video files you are looking for
by boya84 / October 15, 2009 4:25 AM PDT

are the MTS extension files. Other files include a "database" tracking file that keeps track of the video and still image files in the different directors - and a few other camcorder "operating system" specific housekeeping files.

Do not change or move any of the files in the camcorder and do not rename anything in the camcorder's directory structure.

You probably don't need the software that came with the camcorder - especially if you want to do any editing. We've had several posts/threads that indicate it is useless. But you will need a video editing application that can deal with AVCHD/MTS compressed video files. (MovieMaker bundled with Vista cannot handle MTS files.) Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere generally float to the top.

Other than the computers manufacturer and operating system, you did not tell us anything about the computer, so we have no way to know if it is at least minimally configured to deal with AVCHD/MTS video. Ideally, your computer's CPU, RAM and external hard drive will exceed the requirements to deal with AVCHD video.

Collapse -
Canon Legria HF 200
by jackerouac64 / October 20, 2009 11:47 PM PDT

I feel cheated by Canon that I need a different program to edit the scenes I upload from my camera. Is this what happened for everyone who bought this camera?

Collapse -
Since I don't expect
by boya84 / October 21, 2009 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon Legria HF 200

the auto manufacturers to also manufacture the fuel (and several other analogies that make sense to me - perhaps not to others), I don't expect the camcorder hardware manufacturers to provide "good" video editing software.

Admittedly, Canon does state, "The Canon VIXIA HF200 High Definition Camcorder is bundled with a powerful software suite, Pixela ImageMixer 3SE?*. You can easily perform a variety of functions, including AVCHD Editing in which you can trim, reorder, and combine scenes, as well as add music, titles, and transitions. This software also allows you to play your AVCHD movies on your computer and will also let you share copies of your movie with friends and family through Flash Memory to hard drive copying. Transfer and store your movie onto your computer's hard drive with the software and easily convert your High Definition video to Standard Definition video as well."

"* The bundled application is compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista."

So if your computer meets the minimum requirements to deal with AVCHD video and the provided software suite, and the above statements at their website are not accurate, then you have a legitimate complaint. Have you contacted Canon? What did they say?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.