Laptops forum

How to disable wifi adapter in android of aspire one d257?

by alphabeta1 / March 3, 2013 10:50 AM PST

Hi all.
I just opened my new netbook as in subject line.
My first move was to disable wifi adapter through windows, so that to prepare recovery usbs and try to harden a little windows 7 and study about security.
Never before used netbooks or wifi internet and I believe there are lots of dangers for them.
If for instance some neighbour savvy about that staff would like, he could steal my data just by being next door I heard.
I have lots of questions, but here are the first two.
1) How can I repeat above disabling of wifi adpater through the alternative os of my netbook, android 2.3? Just like windows it opens immediately wifi when starting.
2) My windows have pre-installed mcafee internet security.
Does this cover android also, and if not, can I install a separate security for it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to disable wifi adapter in android of aspire one d257?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to disable wifi adapter in android of aspire one d257?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I know of no such exploit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 1:46 AM PST

Since just having the wifi on does not create a known exploit I fear you are overreacting to today's known threats.

But in short, if you don't connect to a hotspot, the wifi is not going to leak information. Done.

If that's not good enough, seek help where you can find it. I'm sure you have support you've used before.

As to Android, again, just don't connect.

Collapse -
I have no other help than god in this
by alphabeta1 / March 5, 2013 8:25 AM PST

I'm surfing for the last 12 years, since 1998. Had lost 3 systems already due to intrusions and hijacking.
I learned a little bit about security the hard way, I started without any security software at all, then my first firewall was ZAP and first av Norton.
I had trojans when Symantec did not know anything about them and when I described the symptoms they insisted it is a virus.
Last year I was out of the net for the most of it, such as during 6-7 months, cause hackers crashed my desktop and could not afford to fix or replace it.
At that time I went to an internet cafe and thought to check the wifi security thinking that maybe if I surf anonymously perhaps I will avoid them. Locally surfing anonymously in hotspots (with a netbook for instance) bought with cash, without credit card, anonymously, is legal. While in any other case, one must purchase a connection with his ID according to a new law that passed 3 years ago or so.
I believe that if I do so (surf anonymously in hotspots with a system bought anonymously) and never visit my personal pages, such as email or bank account with my real name on them, I will avoid any hassle.
I can visit the pages with my name and surname through internet cafes, or through my already hacked desktop.
I have no money to lose in those banks in any case.
So I found this page then,
I wrote down in a paper the instructions and I believe first thing in the row is "disable wifi adapter".
Later I managed to purchase a last item on a shop's shelf desktop, cheap that is, but considered new with warranty and all, and I applied on it what was written in the paper, thinking that, perhaps wifi security more than full and strict might save my desktop, but did nothing.
Have up to now performed more than a dozen recoveries through dvd (destructive, that is) discovered lots of trojans (a downloader, hiloti, others too) only yesterday they changed my NIS settings password, so that I couldn't deactivate tampering control and perform system restore to avoid a recent trojan.
I was so surprised I discovered through google in a Norton forum that I may change this password through deleting NIS in add/remove programs, before to delete, it gives the option to change password.
This is a situation I leave during the last 12 years, especially when it is about finances, that is they ruin my efforts to work online.
So I decided to purchase this anonymous netbook which I cherish a lot and try to connect it in the net in a way that will be more than perfectly secure.
I need a way to deactivate wifi through android so to study android before to connect it and not never connect it as you say. If I discover that android can be safe or safer than windows as the rumor is, I need to connect it instead.
And I need to know if my netbook's Mcfee covers my android too, if not if I can install a security software for it too and eventually which one.
Other questions will follow as soon as I'll have studied more my subject.

Collapse -
The problem is. There is no stanadard here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 5:16 AM PST

While I can turn off the WiFi on every android I have at the office (we have a dozen or more machines) no two are alike.

Since you seem reluctant to look in Settings and see if there's an off setting I had no choice but to note that there is no chance to infect if you don't connect.

Collapse -
I do not see an answer about looking in android settings...
by alphabeta1 / March 8, 2013 4:28 AM PST
...previously, so to seem reluctant.
I feel that this forum is reluctant to help me, after the two short answers I got.
I'll look in the net, I trust I will always find help in google for instance. Or anywhere else, not personalized help usually likes me.
Collapse -
I can't help. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 4:34 AM PST

Because such a setting is not always in the same place.

This is one of the downsides to Android and I'm more than willing to discuss things but for this topic you must dive in and go look.

I had hoped you would understand what a mess that area is, that is I picked up 2 androids and it was not in the same exact spot to turn it on/off. For this it seems you are upset at me for not knowing your device and it's android settings.

Didn't mean to upset you but I can understand why some are a little put off by that OS.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.