Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how to disable unwanted startup applications

by ksteil / March 29, 2006 9:33 AM PST

My computer has been very slow and I've followed previously supplied instructions to find out what is being loaded at start-up.
It seems that there are quite a number of things that I don't need, i.e. FindFast.exe, OSA.EXE, realsched.exe. The recommendations are that they should be disabled - but I don't know how that is done.
When I right click on these items, I get a window with choices such as End Process, End Process Tree, Set Priority, Realtime, High, etc.
I have a Dell Dimension 4300S running Windows XP SP2.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to disable unwanted startup applications
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to disable unwanted startup applications
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Proceedure
by Merl Priester / March 29, 2006 9:47 AM PST

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the startup TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are startup items. Uncheck the ones you do not want ot run at startup.

Click OK and reboot.

You should also do an antispyware scan.
http://www.ewido.com

Download and install ewido.
Update it and do a full system scan.

Collapse -
how to disable startup items
by ksteil / March 30, 2006 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: Proceedure

Hi, Merl
thanks for your help and interest.
I have Spybot S&D installed and run that frequently.
That is an anti-spyware, I believe.
Is ewido something different? and will I need it in addition to Spybot?

Collapse -
It is different
by tomron / March 30, 2006 2:05 AM PST

Its for worms,trojans,and so on.Very good program.Click EWIDO

Tom

Collapse -
Spybot S&D
by rimbaud / March 30, 2006 10:39 PM PST

If you run your SpyBot S&D in "advanced" mode, it has a handy tool that allows you to disable startup items. As a plus, it tells you what they are and if disabling them is recommended.

Collapse -
Re: how to disable unwanted startup applications
by Tufenuf / March 29, 2006 10:56 AM PST
Collapse -
how to disable unwanted startup items
by ksteil / March 30, 2006 12:12 AM PST

Hello, Tufenuf

I am so happy to have received two answers and so promptly - THANKS!

answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist
is where I got the whole list, but then didn't know how to proceed.

I will check out the second link you provided as well.

Collapse -
Disabeling Startup
by jmarkley / March 31, 2006 12:44 AM PST

I understand you can use msconfig in windows XP, but how do you the same in windows 2000.

Collapse -
Re MSCONFIG for Windows 2000
by Tufenuf / March 31, 2006 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Disabeling Startup
Collapse -
Disable Startup in 2000
by jmarkley / April 5, 2006 11:23 PM PDT

Thanks Tufenuf Will try to download Msconfig. H3709

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) H3709: Gor For It
by Tufenuf / April 6, 2006 1:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the links - but I have a question
by Shiffekm / March 31, 2006 4:57 AM PST

One of the lines in my MSCONFIG file is blank. Totally blank in the startup item and command section but has HKLM . . . in the last column. What is this? Any ideas?

Collapse -
I can't answer specifically,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 31, 2006 1:38 PM PST

but I would remove the tick and see what happens.

If your computer becomes unstable, then we investigate more.

As a matter of interest does the Command column only show HKLM? What happens if you pull aside to the right the divider between the Command and Location column headers? Do you see more of the entry?

If you disable this Startup item, and click Apply/OK, you will get a warning message that the change will only take effect when you next start the computer. Then, when you do restart it, as Windows loads you will get an information window saying that you have chosen selective startup. You can suppress that window by ticking the option within the window.

Mark

Collapse -
An great manager for identifying start ups and managing them
by chrisENJUNSc / March 30, 2006 8:38 PM PST

Hullo.

When i last used Windows (98se and Xp) i regularily made use of the PcForrest Startman program and found it exellent.

It allows easy management of starting programs and provides a back up if you disable any and;

If you right click a start up on the startman list you can go off to the site and get the startup identified.All for free although donations are possible.

Answers that work also a great site.

Best Wishes all,Chris

Must admit though ive changed to Ubuntu GNU/Linux awhile now and no regrets for general computer use.This machine is now used as it is meant to be and not as a battle ground against virus's and spyware.I do run a firewall in GNU/Linux also a virus scanner but just get NO probs.

Collapse -
WinPatrol
by kingcorky / March 30, 2006 9:14 PM PST

I use a small program that sits in the system tray called WinPatrol. It can be downloaded at http://www.winpatrol.com/

It also does a lot of other nice things.

Ron

Collapse -
I agree
by wije2980 / April 3, 2006 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: WinPatrol

WinPatrol is a wonderful program! I think it is really worth getting the "Plus" edition for the small fee. It also helps you determine other applications that may be running on your computer that you don't need or want.

Collapse -
The best utility for disabling start-up application...
by Jaimeggj / March 30, 2006 9:15 PM PST

My opinion is that the best utility for disable application, is CodeStuff Starter (http://CodeStuff.mirrorz.com).

You can disable startup applications, and then enable if you like.

Collapse -
Be Cautious
by Shawzy / March 30, 2006 9:59 PM PST

I have modified my msconfig - start up applications and some of my programs did not work correctly.
Example. I have a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse and after modifying the start up application, some of the buttons on the mouse did not work as they did during the initial installation. I had to go back in and try and decipher what program did what and check the appropriate box. In doing so, my mouse is fully operational again.

Collapse -
The easiest and simplest startup utility
by ghosh.subhodeep / March 30, 2006 10:00 PM PST

have you guys even ever heard of the Startup folder or MSConfig?????????

You don't need to spent thousands of dollars on programs doing the same thing that MSconfig does....

Tutorial for Dummies... (hint hint)
Click start, programs then, "startup" folder, whatever is in there will run on startup, delete or move the stuff you want gone.

Next, click start, then Run now type:
msconfig

go to the startup tab, there are a list of programsthat run on startup, REMOVE (click on the box with the checkmark in it, it should disapear, OH MY GOD IT'S POSSESED, CALL THE PRIEST!!!)

Click apply. Voila....

if the programs are just ads
simply download
"AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL EDITION"

Collapse -
etiquette please
by Merl Priester / March 31, 2006 12:01 AM PST

People ask questions and don't need "for dummies" added to your answer.

Adaware alone is not sufficient to clean up spyware.
Ewido does the best that I have found, but I usually run Spybot and Adaware as well.

As far as startup programs, msconfig will show "most" of what is starting up but if spyware is on your machine it may not show in msconfig. Some other startup management programs can show more and some of them explain what those items are.

If you just want to use msconfig, but what to know what each item is, then look for a file or exe name and search for it on google. You can determine the origin of almost everything quickly.

If they are HP (hewlitt packard) or Logitech you can tell where they belong already. Many others may not be as obvious, but unchecking them does not remove them, you can always go back and check them again.

Collapse -
It's not the question it's the answers that were ridiculious
by ghosh.subhodeep / March 31, 2006 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: etiquette please

Excuse me if I'm not the queen of england, I don't look in a throne

Collapse -
None of these answers are rediculous.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 31, 2006 3:02 AM PST

You will find with Windows that there is generally more than one way, more than one answer. Often, no "single" answer is the correct one.

Your initial post suggests you have not realised that yet.

Please modify your responses.

Mark

Collapse -
Shutting Down Startup Stuff
by edbrady / March 30, 2006 10:02 PM PST

I use Startup Mechanic. It gives you a brief description of the various startup items, and you can shut them off or leave them on, if you aren't certain or know they are necessary.

It's free, and less than a meg.

http://startupmechanic.com/

Collapse -
startup mechanic?
by kbreitman / March 31, 2006 10:42 PM PST

downloaded startup mechanic,did a scan,"mechanic" is telling me 'windows defender' is harmfull !!!!

whats up with that ??

Collapse -
Easy to use startup control
by kagalbreth / March 30, 2006 11:27 PM PST

I have used a free program from Mike Lin, called "Startup Control Panel". It is easy to use, doesn't overwhelm you like MSCONFIG, and doesn't nag like MSCONFIG does either.
He also has another program called "Startup Montior" which will warn you and ask for approval when a program registers a startup change.
His programs can be found at his home page:

http://www.mlin.net/

Collapse -
Sounds Great ...... But
by radcad92 / March 31, 2006 6:21 AM PST

Everytime I try to install them I get a notice from Spybot that it has detected a registry entry. Then I get a popup that says registry change denied. Checked Spybot and it's been blocking all my downloads (which explains why they're not working) I've spent the last 3 hours trying to resolve this but now I call "uncle" Can anyone help?

Collapse -
You should create a new discussion on this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 31, 2006 1:40 PM PST

It doesn't seem to apply to the original question.

Mark

Collapse -
Stopping Programs at startup (The Easy way)
by GordonFanta / March 31, 2006 2:27 AM PST

To start and stop Programs at startup. You might be best off using a program called 'Desktop Armor' formerly this program used to be 'Geek superhero'.
I recommend this program to all new users because it is very simple to use, has a great deal of Security features and gives you the ability to toggle whether Programs run at startup or not.
I have been using these programs for over 3 years, you may well be impressed with the functionality and Security features, as I am.

Collapse -
removing items out of start up in windows xp home/pro
by teenageopinion / April 1, 2006 10:35 PM PST

All you have to do is click on start go to run then

type in msconfig a window will open up with a few tabs

at the top choose startup and deslect the itmes you

do not want to run at start up click apply or ok

choose not to reboot and you are done no other software

needed.

Collapse -
Startup Cop Pro
by Scott76633 / March 31, 2006 2:38 AM PST

Startup Cop Pro cost a little bit but it works evertytime..only one I have used for 3 years now and it works...............

Collapse -
Re: how to disable unwanted startup applications
by tempestl / March 31, 2006 6:04 AM PST

I have used and still use articles that are posted on BLACK VIPER Website: (http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm).
He shows 5 different setup configurations.
REAd THE WARNINGS as some configs may bring UNDESIRED Results with some computers.

1. "SAFE" general Windows XP, Internet Gateway Config

2. DEFAULT Pro (Win XP Pro)

3. Internet Gateway (Mainly Internet Use)

4. Gaming (Serious Gaming setup)

5. Mine (Black Viper's personal machine Setup)

Hope this helps
Cheers and Goodluck

mclwlg

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.