Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

How to disable copy option in Print Dialog using Vbscript

by mukulpro / June 24, 2013 7:25 PM PDT

Hi,

I need to create a vbscript which disables the copies option for the user in print dialog, so that by default it prints a single copy. Being new to vbscript, I would request your guidance for the required guidance.

With thanks and regards,
Mukul

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to disable copy option in Print Dialog using Vbscript
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to disable copy option in Print Dialog using Vbscript
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: vbscript
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 24, 2013 7:34 PM PDT

Why does it have to be a vbscript?
From what application program are you going to call it?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: why vbscript
by mukulpro / June 24, 2013 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: vbscript

I need to call the script from the group policy at startup, such that when the user calls print dialog the copies option is set to 1 and he/she can not modify the option.

Collapse -
Re: vbscript
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 24, 2013 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: why vbscript

Then the first thing to do is to ask yourself how you would do it via the GUI of Windows (in this case probably in regedit). If you know that with a little bit of luck you can do the same in vbscript.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Regedit
by mukulpro / June 24, 2013 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: vbscript

Thanks for the reply. I am open to both the options, ie, through registry and/ or group policy. In either case your help would be of great value!

Thanking you
Mukul

Collapse -
Re: group policy
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 24, 2013 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Regedit

Group policy is defined in the registry also, so that's the same.

As I said, the first thing to do is to find out how to do it via the screen. If you don't know that, you certainly can't do it with a script. A script is just a way to automate a manual action.

Kees

Collapse -
registry
by mukulpro / June 24, 2013 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: group policy

Very true!!! Problem is that I am not able to find the print dialog in the registry nor its copy parameters, so that I could work on it. I can make out my printer settings in the registry along with the parameters in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE>MICROSOFT>WINDOWSNT>CURRENTVERSION>PRINT>PRINTER

Kindly help me to get the Print Dialog settings for the copies parameter, and how to disable it.

Thanks
Mukul

Collapse -
Answer
The answer is no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 12:53 AM PDT

Because this dialogue box is specific to your printer the options will vary from printer to printer. And there is no known entry to disable this.

I think this issue will correct itself if you spend too much time on it. That is, since the options change with each printer and each printer maker can implement it as they see fit and certainly there is no source code to fix it, you are losing time trying to fix this.

Instead, offer a short guide on setting this value to one and tell the users to not change it.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Let's be clear

Let's be clear. It doesn't matter how many different ways you try asking this same basic question, the answer is always going to be the same: It is not possible.

It doesn't matter if you're trying to use the Registry, VBScript or whatever other method you might think of next. What you want to do is simply not possible. You need to stop wasting time chasing an impossible dream and start looking at other ways of approaching this problem. Short of getting Microsoft to give you a copy of the Windows source code so you could make your own custom print dialog box, and then having to maintain that custom dialog box in perpetuity, there is no way to alter it.

I would strongly suggest you stop wasting time trying to solve an impossible problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.