Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How To Determine A Safe Site?

by dcmorris / March 29, 2006 10:01 AM PST

There are a lot of neat sites that perform all kinds of functions. The question is how to determine if they are safe.
For instance, I have learned of a site called "ImageShack". One can upload photos to the site and they will provide a URL to that photo. Then all one has to do is send that URL as a link in an e-mail to a friend, family member etc., and they can view the photo at their leisure.
I am reasonably sure it is a legitimate site but what if it isn't? I would hate to think I am directing my friends into a site that could be damaging.
I think I learned of ImageShack here on this forum. Should I feel comfortable with sites referred to on cnet?
Am I gun shy? You bet. Dog bites me once, his fault. Dog bites me twice, my fault. I have been bitten once.

DC

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Determine A Safe Site?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Determine A Safe Site?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / March 29, 2006 10:29 AM PST

If it's referred to in a Cnet article, I wouldn't give it much second thought. If it's here in the forums, I'd be more cautious depending on who it is that linked to it. If it's Bob, Toni, Mark, Ray (Harinec), etc, I don't worry as I know they'd never steer me wrong. However, if it's a new member with a few posts I'd be a little more leery for the simple fact that I don't know the person who's recommending it. If it's something on Cnet's download.com, I'd read the reviews and be cautious. They do scan the software offered, but things have been known to slip through. (I've caught/reported a few myself.)

Now, for the software-side of things, I have two primary recommendations...Netcraft Toolbar and Site Advisor, both of which are free and available for Internet Explorer and Firefox. Netcraft Toolbar will give you information about the site you're at and help detect phishing sites. (ie Site look-a-likes that trick you into handing over private information.) SiteAdvisor (highly recommended) will give the site you're viewing a Green, Yellow, or Red flag based on spam, malware, popups, tracking cookies, and other nasties. It can also be used to 'highlight' all search results through Google, Yahoo, and MSN, alerting to which search results are safe and which are not. I trust both and rely on them daily.

Aside from that, always make sure you have a firewall and the usual malware protection in case you do pick up something.

Finally, I'd like to note that ImageShack.us is fine...they use a few tracking cookies but do not pose a threat or security risk. I use it all the time and wouldn't recommend something I thought to be harmful.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Safe sites
by tomron / March 29, 2006 10:30 AM PST

Like anything in life there is no guarantee,but you can check these HERE and HERE

Tom

Collapse -
As Usual, A Quick Helpful Response
by dcmorris / March 29, 2006 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Safe sites

Thanks John and Tom. You were more than helpful.

DC

Collapse -
little addition
by shankru85 / March 29, 2006 10:01 PM PST

Hi DC ,
i know that Mozilla firefox has a particular feature that can help detecting sefety of websites by displaying different colours on the top bar .
One thing is sure : if you read "WAREZ"...just
run away as faster as you can !

Regards
White [ITA]

Collapse -
What is Warez?
by Rfk112025 / March 30, 2006 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: little addition

What is Warez please? And why should we stay away from it?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Warez Definition
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2006 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: What is Warez?

Here's just one definition of:

Warez

Many of these types of rogue sites have virus and spyware vulnerabilities on their pages..To say the least, approach with caution.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Warez
by canIpost? / April 1, 2006 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: What is Warez?

Warez is illegal download sites for software. They upload the entire installation program and provide any serials that are needed. It is the equivalent of shop lifting.

Collapse -
Warez
by aclin / May 16, 2006 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Warez

Yes Warez p2p is illegal But if you have paid for your membership in Warez Pro then it is no longer legal .

Collapse -
Downloading Copyrighted Material Without Paying...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 17, 2006 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Warez

...the owner of the copyrighted material is ALWAYS illegal unless the owner of the copyrighted material has given permission to do so.. Paying the owner of the P2P software, whether it be Limewire, or a warez site, it's bound to be illegal because they don't pay the owner of the music, movie, or software download.

Unfortunately, there are a number of users that get sucked into that scam..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Once Bitten Twice Shy
by tombpsyco / March 30, 2006 9:44 PM PST

Here's a simple little addon for Internet Explorer or Fire Fox.

www.siteadvisor.com

When you do searches it adds little notes in the search about the site. Check it out.

Collapse -
Tried To D/L siteadvisor But
by dcmorris / March 31, 2006 1:27 AM PST

I got a message saying Firefox wouldn't permit it to download. Is there a problem here?

DC

Collapse -
Security precaution...
by John.Wilkinson / March 31, 2006 2:34 AM PST

By default, Firefox only allows you to install extensions from the secured Mozilla website. Thus, when you try to download an extension such as SiteAdvisor, an alert will come up in the yellow bar along the top of the browser window. You have to click the 'edit options' button and allow the site, then click to download again. SiteAdvisor is completely safe and highly recommended, so there's no worries.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
By Jove I've Got It
by dcmorris / March 31, 2006 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: Security precaution...

Thanks John. It took me a minute or two to find the ''edit options'' button but once that was found the rest was easy.
And thanks to the rest who have helped with this problem.
Another case of ''Newbies forum to the rescue''.

DC

Collapse -
safe site info
by notagoodname / March 31, 2006 3:27 AM PST

Got a good site from Kim Komando in Phoenix,Az. Try this web site, www.siteadvisor.com. It put a marker on Internet Explorer web page telling you if the site is safe. Hal

Collapse -
No such thing as a safe site
by jayfin / April 1, 2006 11:44 AM PST

As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as a safe site. If you really want to be safe you will never go onto the internet from your home computer. You will use the public library or some other source if you really want to be safe and even there you may not really be safe if you have to give your name, etc. I have used warez but not from my home computer.

What do I mean by safe? That the site does not know my computer IP or anything else about me. If all your are concerned about is Virus attacks and spyware, that is a another issue. Just get yourself some good Anti-virus software and anti-spyware software, and both hardware and software firewalls.

Collapse -
Little If Anything Is Safe In This Life
by dcmorris / April 2, 2006 4:31 AM PDT

Nothing I can think of is absolutely safe. Some examples would include automobiles, trains, airplanes, bathtubs, kitchens, farms, theme parks, walking trails, hospitals, ad infinitum.
What I attempt to do is minimize problems. That was the intent of my original post although I did not clarify that. However, and fortunately, a number of repliers interpreted my real concern and now I am in a position to apply their advice and minimize my safety concerns.

DC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.