Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to Detect Hackers???

by mavaddat / January 28, 2005 3:28 PM PST

Hi guys,

Is there anywhere or anyway that I can check if a hacker has been or is hacking in my PC and if they have left something left to report back my on/off line acitivities??

Have a nice day,
Mavs19

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Detect Hackers???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Detect Hackers???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to Detect Hackers???
by sp_100 / January 28, 2005 4:58 PM PST
Collapse -
I was thinking of a bit more sophisticated Hacker....
by mavaddat / January 28, 2005 5:39 PM PST

I am referring to a bit more sophisticated hacker, the one that brakes into your computer and looks around in real time and then leaves something behind on ones hard drive or memory that is not detected by usual virus/spyware scanning that is offered on the usual websites such as TrendMicro or CA etc.

If you know of somewhere were I could start from that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Collapse -
It seems to me that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 28, 2005 7:05 PM PST

there is very little you can do if you are unprotected and a hacker has already got in.

The problem is, they can leave programs anywhere on your system and the only way you could find if something has been added is to do a comparison, somehow, of file numbers and/or file sizes, or disk used size, compared to a "norm". But setting that norm after the event would not work of course, and in any case I don't know how you could do it.

One way is to "track" your computer. What is it doing that you do not expect or cannot explain? Is it communicating over the interent when you are not surfing? Are there programs running in the background that you do not recognise?

You can check background processes easily enough, although it is a laborious process. Open up Task Manager, (right click the Task Bar and choose Task Manager), and in the Applications tab, are there any applications, (programs), running that you cannot see on the desktop?

Under the Processes tab, check each process with the web site below, and see what each process does.

The web site is; http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

But in the end the best way to prevent hackers from invading your system, (or if they have already gotten in, prevent them from sending data out without your knowledge), is to install a firewall. There are many good firewalls available. Many are free.

The one I use is ZoneAlarm from http://www.zonelabs.com

Hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
I was thinking of ...
by sp_100 / January 29, 2005 2:13 AM PST
Collapse -
You don't
by Yew / January 28, 2005 10:09 PM PST

Let's put this bluntly shall we?

No firewall will ever be able to keep everyone out. Large companies with security budgets probably higher than your annual income still manage to get hacked. If a bunch of trained professionals with some real top of the line gear can't stop it, don't even bother thinking that something like ZomeAlarm is going to be more than a 5 minute challenge (if you're lucky and get a stupid hacker).

Now, assuming someone was for some reason actually interested in your system. Chances are, you either did something stupid and provoked this attack, or it's someone you know rather well who's pissed off at you. The chances of an actual person singling you out randomly is probably lower than being struck by lightning twice in a day.

Further assuming it was someone good enough to get into your system, don't you think they would be good enough to cover their tracks well enough that you wouldn't be able to follow them?

I know a lot of computer magazines make it seem like the big bad hackers are waiting behind every corner to leap out and steal credit card numbers and that sort of thing off your system, but the truth is, there's really a very small number of actual hackers, and they're a dying breed. Script kiddies are the new wave, and they couldn't hack if their life depended on it most of the time. They use tools written by other people, which exploit known flaws in Windows (or any other OS theoretically) to create zombie PC armies. The whole process is automated, but of couse in order to convince you of their worth, the firewall will use terminology designed to envoke fear. If you keep up on your Windows patches and avoid using IE like the plague, that shouldn't be a real threat.

Just do the best you can with security... Keep an AV program up to date, don't use IE or Outlook Express, don't use programs with spyware, don't go pissing the wrong people off in chat rooms, install the latest updates for Windows/IE religiously... If you do that, then you can know that you did pretty much everything possible to stop 99% of the annoying stuff out there, and if an actual person wanted into your system, there wasn't anything you could have done anyway.

Collapse -
Look for software such at TRIPWIRE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2005 10:14 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.